Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MEYERITO
Advocate I
Advocate I

Direct Query - Access rights

Hello, 

I need the help of the community to understand if the situation I am facing is a limitation or a bad setting. 

We are using direct query to power bi dataset for creating multiple reports. 

Part of these reports are shared in a different prenium capacity than the original dataset one. 

ISSUE: Users whom are trying to access the latest part of the chain see an error message.

BY PASS: Only the one with access to the original dataset can see data. 

My question is: Do we need to set multiple access (original dataset + new dataset/report) to allow users to see data or shall we proceed another way? 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MEYERITO ,

If your problem has been solved, would you like to mark your answer as the solution. Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MEYERITO ,

According to your description, you create a report connecting to dataset in DirectQuery mode, in this way, it will generate a new dataset corresponding to the report. In order to access this report, you just need to grant permission to the new dataset.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Following multiple tests I have to say the only way I found to grant access to the final report report is to give permission on the original dataset. I would be happy to hear from you how to proceed to bypass this restriction and have an independent dataset. 
thanks 

Hi @MEYERITO ,

Sorry yesterday I use the dataset create a blank report and can access the blank report without the original dataset permission, but today I test with visuals in the report and the visuals can't load successfully until I grant permission to the original dataset. This was my oversight, I apologize again.

Best Regards,

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Users need permission to see the dataset in order to have data in the reports connected to them. Even if it's import data and not only direct query.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors