Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gastonguy
Frequent Visitor

Different data according to user credentials

I want to share a dashboard that I will design. But I want that every users who will access it see different data, according to their credentials. I understood that I can define a Row-Level Security in SQL Server 2016.

But the problem is, as I am the one who has configured the DataSet with the SQLServer and I put the credentials for the DB access, it will display the same thing for every user according to MY credentials, won't it?

I don't understand in fact how SQL Server 2016 Row-Level Security does the link with the Power BI account.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @gastonguy

I don't know yet how Microsoft will implement the Row Level Security, but if is the same as SSAS, it will be based on AD user / group.

When you use a gateway between powerbi Services and the data server, you configure it with your credential, that's ok, but when other users will use your reports and see the data, the gateway will pass the user login as Effectivename. This property will be check againts AD and the role to retrieve the only data they can see.

This works pretty well with SSAS, so I may be the same way with Sql Server 2016, but you have to use Live Query, it won't work if you import the data model, there is no security in it.

Sebastien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @gastonguy

I don't know yet how Microsoft will implement the Row Level Security, but if is the same as SSAS, it will be based on AD user / group.

When you use a gateway between powerbi Services and the data server, you configure it with your credential, that's ok, but when other users will use your reports and see the data, the gateway will pass the user login as Effectivename. This property will be check againts AD and the role to retrieve the only data they can see.

This works pretty well with SSAS, so I may be the same way with Sql Server 2016, but you have to use Live Query, it won't work if you import the data model, there is no security in it.

Sebastien

Thank you very much.

And doing like this, do you know if I still can integrate the Dashboard or Report inside another private application (using the Power BI REST API)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use REST API with Power BI, to get your doashboards, tiles and reports list. So I guess that you will be able to get the report, becaues when you're connected to Power BI using REST API, you have to be authenticated with your Power BI account, so there should no be different than when you're directly connected.

But, even if I managed to list my dashboards, tiles and reports, I didn't see the REST API call to get the Reports. For information, you can check the doc here (I think you already know it) : Power BI REST API Reference

Sebastien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors