Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aoliver
Helper III
Helper III

Different Result in refresh (Desktop vs Service)

Hello everyone

I have an historical table, with basically a timestamp and a numeric value.

The problem is that in powerBI Desktop, to show the correct number, I have to transform the decimal separator (from . to ,) and then change it to decimal number (all in powerQuery)

So, when I have the table loaded, I upload the table to PowerBI Service and when it refreshes, does not take in count the , of decimal separator and shows me an incorrect result. 

This problem is better explained with the next pictures:

aoliver_4-1597746803412.png

First table, in poewrBI Desktop, the same table, in both variations, with "." or "," as a decimal separator.

aoliver_1-1597746748902.png

Same tables, but refreshed in powerbi Service, and showing the wrong result.

Some ideas of why is happening this?

PD: Im from Spain, and I tried to change the regional settings, I use Spanish, English (UK or USA). I dont know how to face this 😞

Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello, 
I was able to resolve this issue with the help of powerbi Support (via ticket)
The problem was the region I was using in a change type step in powerQuery

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @aoliver  ,

Do the suggestions from engineers make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Hello, 
I was able to resolve this issue with the help of powerbi Support (via ticket)
The problem was the region I was using in a change type step in powerQuery

Thanks

dosc
Frequent Visitor

For people having the same issue, here is how to solve it:

• Go to the Power Query Editor
  • Right Click on your Column and Select “Change Type > Using Locale…” (This has to be done before any type conversion happens)
  • Provide the data type and the matching locale setting to convert your data reliably

I wrote a blog post about this issue with more context: Incorrect Power BI Report Data After Refresh

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aoliver ,

>>The problem is that in powerBI Desktop, to show the correct number, I have to transform the decimal separator (from . to ,) and then change it to decimal number (all in powerQuery)

Generally, the symbol "," stand for the thousand section marker in number value, for example "100,000,000".  If you transform the decimal separator (from . to ,), it will generate confusion for symbol "," and  "." . So recommend you not do the action "transform the decimal separator (from . to ,)", just set the decimal places .

data type decimal.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

After you have made your changes have you clicked on the "Reset to Default" button?

I have found that when changes are made to reports it is best to click on the "Reset to Default" button

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

The option of "reset of default" in powerBI service when I enter to the report is disabled, so I cant click it (its logical due to I dont have any changes between the desktop and service version)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors