Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Joseph_Hchaime
Helper III
Helper III

Different Copies of Same published report with different static filters and permission levels

Hi I have a situation where I need to share the same report with different individuals in my organization where each person gets a copy of the report filtered to his/her own data (using static filters not RLS) and not be able to see the copies of the report of other users. What's the best way to achieve that? I thought about creating different workspaces and sharing that workspace as "viewer" only with each user so they won't be able to see each other's workspaces BUT I was wondering if there is a better way to do it? we only have one Pro license for development/publishing to service. All other users have a regular for business office 365 account. We can't implement RLS the way our data is structured as the name of the user is present in multiple columns and tables of the dataset. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @Joseph_Hchaime 

RLS is really the only method of restricting data and views by user. All other methods are open to the user changing the filter or getting around the restriction. If I were you I'd look hard at the Datamodel and see if RLS can be implemented. Having the user name in multiple column and table is not a problem. What matters is the structure of the datamodel and the filter context used by RLS. You can also write DAX to create the filter condition for RLS to get around limitations in the Datamodel if you're proficient in the DAX language.

The other problem you may have is your licencing requirement. You have a Pro licence for development/publishing, but this will require a Pro licence for "viewers" or any one else that needs to see the Report. The regular for business office 365 account does not include a Power BI licence, only a Office 365 E5 account includes a Power BI Pro licence. So you may find that your current viewers are using Power BI Pro Trial licences which will expire after 60 days after that they'll need a Power BI Pro licence, 

Hope this helps

Stuart 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @Joseph_Hchaime 

RLS is really the only method of restricting data and views by user. All other methods are open to the user changing the filter or getting around the restriction. If I were you I'd look hard at the Datamodel and see if RLS can be implemented. Having the user name in multiple column and table is not a problem. What matters is the structure of the datamodel and the filter context used by RLS. You can also write DAX to create the filter condition for RLS to get around limitations in the Datamodel if you're proficient in the DAX language.

The other problem you may have is your licencing requirement. You have a Pro licence for development/publishing, but this will require a Pro licence for "viewers" or any one else that needs to see the Report. The regular for business office 365 account does not include a Power BI licence, only a Office 365 E5 account includes a Power BI Pro licence. So you may find that your current viewers are using Power BI Pro Trial licences which will expire after 60 days after that they'll need a Power BI Pro licence, 

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors