Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference in behaviour Desktop vs Service, visual header

Hello,

I have noticed when I create a visual in PBI Service vs PBI Desktop, the default for the visual header is different. In the picture attached, the above slicer was created using PBI Desktop and the below using PBI Service. You will notice there is a bulky visual header below but not above. That header gets in the way of other slicers and visuals occasionaly, so I would like to know how to create a visual in the Service that will have the same behaviour as Desktop.

PBI screenshot.png

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on test, I found these difference are related to 'modern visual header' option.
It will shows different visual header views after you turn on/off this option. (current I haven't found a option to change these on service side, so you had to modify it on desktop side and publish to service to replace header view)

10.png11.png

Reference link:

Power BI Desktop July 2018 Feature Summary#visualHeader

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I think you are turn on 'hide visual header in reading view mode' option, right? If this is a case, it will hide visual header in read view mode, you can find these visual headers in edit mode.
BTW, you can also turn off this option in 'option -> report settings'.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can get it to work in Desktop but not when I create a report on Service. On Service, there seems to be no option to hide the visual header. Here is an example where it has gotten in the way of another slicer. If I build the exact same report with these two slicers in Desktop, the visual header does not get in the way. If I then publish that report to the Service, it is still fine. But if I make a fresh report on the service, there seems to be no option to change this behaviour...

PBI screenshot.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can't reproduce this, can you please share us a sample pbix file for test? 

Notice: do mask on sensitive data before share.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Kindly let me know when you have a moment to analyse the sample files I attached to my previous reply.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on test, I found these difference are related to 'modern visual header' option.
It will shows different visual header views after you turn on/off this option. (current I haven't found a option to change these on service side, so you had to modify it on desktop side and publish to service to replace header view)

10.png11.png

Reference link:

Power BI Desktop July 2018 Feature Summary#visualHeader

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

It would definitely be helpful if this toggle was on the Service. Because of this limitation I cannot effectively create a report on the Service. I have to first create it on the Desktop then upload and modify.

As a work around, I have created a "Template" for each workspace uploaded from Desktop.

@v-shex-msft Thank you for your research and time.

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft 

Here are two links to two documents that are different. To see the difference, click on the table. TEST.pbix shows no visible visual header. TEST2.pbix shows a visible header. The only difference between the two is I created TEST on PBI Desktop and TEST2 on PBI Service. There must be a setting somewhere that is different Service vs Desktop that triggers this difference...

Created on PBI Desktop

Created on PBI Service

PBI screenshot.png

Thanks again

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors