Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

twilliams98103
Frequent Visitor

Difference between one P2 sku and two P1 skus

Is there a difference between buying two Power BI Premium P1 skus and one Power BI Premium P2 sku? My understanding is that both of these would cost $10,000 a month. Is that correct?

Further, am I correct that the two P1 sku approach would mean that you have two capacities with 8 v-cores each, and that a given workload could only run against one of those capacities, not both, while a P2 sku would give you a single capacity with 16 v-cores?

If the above is correct, is there any advantage to buying two P1 skus? If, for example, I dedicated one P1 to Finance and one to Operations, am I accomplishing anything different from having a single P2 and separating Finance from Operations using workgroups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @twilliams98103 

Both of these would cost $10,000 a month, But one P2 sku is better.

You should know that Max memory settings are not cumulative. please refer to this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-premium-workloads

You could split P2 into two capacities, they could apply to P2 Workload, but two P1 skus could only apply to P1 Workload.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jean-louis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is this answer is still accurate in 2023 ? we are using 2 x SKU P1 merged in a single P2, and we got all P2 memory and CPU with our 2xP1 configuration.

Then what could be the benefit to buy a single P2 rather than 2xP1 ?

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @twilliams98103 

Both of these would cost $10,000 a month, But one P2 sku is better.

You should know that Max memory settings are not cumulative. please refer to this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-premium-workloads

You could split P2 into two capacities, they could apply to P2 Workload, but two P1 skus could only apply to P1 Workload.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors