Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovonel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Difference between accounts involved in setting up Dataflow?

I am going over the settings of a Dataflow, and I see at least 3 accounts involved… And I have several questions:

What is the difference between these 3 accounts?

“Configured by account1

“Owner: account2

Account3 used as  credentials for the daily refresh? (I assume there has to be this Account3 ,since  I see a succesful refresh for a Dataflow where the owner is not active in AD (left the organization).

Should account1,2 and 3 be the same account? What’s the best practice?

Is there a way to investigate this, without “taking over”?

What does exactly “taking over” mean, will I become “owner” or “configurer” or both?

del.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @ovonel ,

There may be some folks that have a "best practice" but my generic answer is "it depends".  Some organizations want a single userid for all the pieces involved.  And, some organizations want separate userid's for each piece.  As this article points out, you also have the potential for other Azure accounts (again, one or many depending on setup).  ( Setting up an Azure Data Lake V2 to use with power BI dataflows in Service (As a data source) – Debb... )

As for the dataflow itself, you must be the owner to modify the dataflow.  "Taking over" means you become the owner.  This link explains some of this (and has corresponding links that will take you to other articles about the configuration and modification). Dataflows Limitations, restrictions and supported connectors and features - Power BI | Microsoft Doc...

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @ovonel ,

There may be some folks that have a "best practice" but my generic answer is "it depends".  Some organizations want a single userid for all the pieces involved.  And, some organizations want separate userid's for each piece.  As this article points out, you also have the potential for other Azure accounts (again, one or many depending on setup).  ( Setting up an Azure Data Lake V2 to use with power BI dataflows in Service (As a data source) – Debb... )

As for the dataflow itself, you must be the owner to modify the dataflow.  "Taking over" means you become the owner.  This link explains some of this (and has corresponding links that will take you to other articles about the configuration and modification). Dataflows Limitations, restrictions and supported connectors and features - Power BI | Microsoft Doc...

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors