Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nataliab777

Difference between Read permissions and Viewer Permission is Power bi

I am the Administrator of my Workspace and I am in charge of granting people permissions to a dashboard that uses RLS.
I see people with both "Viewer" and "Read" permissions in my workplace. What are the differences between these two permissions? Does Role Level Security (RLS) equally apply in both cases? I primarily want to make sure that users are not able to download underlying data and somehow avoid RLS.

Viewer Vs read.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @nataliab777 

I think this "read" permission was a result of upgrading the Workspace. Users left with "read" were once Members who could only view Power BI content, when the Workspace was upgraded they were left with "read" permissions on the dataset in the Workspace. They are still subject to RLS, but you may want to remove them and add them as "Viewers" just to keep things tidy.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nataliab777 ,

In new workspace ,only have four roles:Admin Member Contributor Viewer.refer this link.

If I grant a user viewer permission ,it will show it with the viewer permission  for dataset.Like below,the viewer permission for dataset could not romove through manage permission.

vluwangmsft_0-1635488537202.png

vluwangmsft_1-1635488581103.png

And if you grant a user read permission  is through the following steps.And it could remove through manage permission.

vluwangmsft_2-1635488696461.png

vluwangmsft_3-1635488708733.png

rls is in effect unless there are edit and higher permissions on the dataset. So for viewer and read permissions, rls is in effect.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @nataliab777 

I think this "read" permission was a result of upgrading the Workspace. Users left with "read" were once Members who could only view Power BI content, when the Workspace was upgraded they were left with "read" permissions on the dataset in the Workspace. They are still subject to RLS, but you may want to remove them and add them as "Viewers" just to keep things tidy.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors