Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexbjorlig
Helper IV
Helper IV

Did anyone connect Power BI to BigQuery using a service account? (with refresh of data working?)

Hi everyone.

I have a working Power BI app in desktop that uses the simba ODBC driver to authenticate against BigQuery using a service account.

It does not work in app.powerbi.com.

Does anyone actually have a working solution for a PowerBI app connecting to Big Query using a service account?

9 REPLIES 9
janinebp
Frequent Visitor

Hi Alex, 

I am able to (Up until yesterday anyway -- weird new issues today) 

When you set up the ODBC connector you gotta use a connection string . See here: https://www.simba.com/products/BigQuery/doc/v2/ODBC_InstallGuide/win/content/odbc/bq/strings.htm

Let me know if this helps

Hi @janinebp ! 

You give me hope! Would you mind sharing your setup for this? Do you use the gateway --> and how does your connection-string look like?

Hey! Yes I use a (personal) data gateway. My connnection string looks like this

OAuthMechanism=0;Email=powerbi-reader@project-name.iam.gserviceaccount.com;KeyFilePath=c:\path\to\credentials\powerbi-reader-credentials.json;Catalog=project-name;

And then set up the ODBC data source as usual

janinebp_0-1618237010943.png

hope this helps!

I think the problem might be the personal data gateway. I'm using the non-personal gateway, and here it does not work. Might be because I don't have the Authentication method called "WindowsWithoutImpersonation". I also had a rather long support case with Microsoft, where they gave up on making it work 🤔

😞 That sucks. I guess I am going to run into your issue eventually... I'll have a look at the normal gateway and will let you know if I find any workaround.

Hi @alexbjorlig 

In case you're not aware (I just recently found out, the official BigQuery connector now allows for Service Account authentication also. This might help you!

Good luck!

Janine

I will give it a spin - thanks for keeping the post updated 🙂 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @alexbjorlig ,

Were you able to make sure that the setup was as designed in this article Connect to a Google BigQuery database in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs ?  The article states that this works in Desktop and Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

The linked article is only about user authentication, and not service accounts.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors