Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cableoneob
Frequent Visitor

Did Microsoft change their model, OR relax some restrictions?

It is stated that any user who intends to consume Power BI PRO content, must have a Power BI PRO license.

However, I have a couple of users with free Power BI accounts that can access my dashboard/report that supposedly contains Power BI PRO content. I'm connecting using an Enterprise Gateway.

So is the requirement to have a Power BI PRO account, in order to consume PRO content no longer in enforcement?  Or something else changed that I'm not aware of?

Cheers.

12 REPLIES 12
ZenDataFox
Frequent Visitor

When you share the dashboard, do you see the following message? 

I'm trying to figure out how to share a dashboard that's scheduled to refresh 1x day with free Power BI users.  The pricing says states once a day is OK, but in practice it looks like they've discontnued any SSAS or Azure connectivity on the Power BI service, except through a data gateway (personal or enterprise), which both require a Pro license to view. 

prowarning.png

Yes I do see that same exact message. 

Yes connecting live through a gateway is considered PRO content (which qualifies my dashboard as PRO content as I'm using a direct connection to SSAS)

That's wierd.  My free account users aren't able to access anything connected to a gateway.

Frankly the Power BI deployment strategy has me very confused.  The pricing documentation clearly states free users can schedule a daily refresh 1x / day.  However, the only option to schedule a refresh is through a gateway, which requires a Pro account for anyone to access.  Is this intentionally misleading, or am I missing a third option that lets free users consume scheduled content? 

@ZenDataFox This might help a little, but keeping track of every scenerio is ... challenging. There is a scenerio with Excel file not using power query or power pivot on premises that does not require a gateway. In this way, I believe you could use the daily refresh. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@cableoneob Are they on the free trial of Pro? or they actually just have the basic account without a license or the trial.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

No not at all, just a basic account, not a trial version.

So that's what had me confused.

@cableoneob The answer is "no" nothing has changed in the licensing model. What is your data source that you are using in the PBIX file / gateway connection?

I'm actually using a direct connection to a SSAS cube (Multidimensional)

@cableoneob LOL. Then something is horribly broken... 🙂 That isn't free.

Or... Are you sure that when the end user goes to the settings in their work space (wheel icon) they only see "X MB of 1GB used"? If they see 10GB, then they are on "Pro"...

It makes more sense to me that there is user error, rather than this being altered by accident in the Service accidently... But, I spose anything is possible.

Ha! yes either something is horribly broken or some sort of accident.

I confirmed that all the users are definitely on free account as shown below.  Definite head scratcher here. 

pbifree2.PNG

Ha! yes either something is horribly broken or some sort of accident.

I confirmed that all the users are definitely on free account as shown below.  Definite head scratcher here. 

pbifree2.PNG

I wonder if anyone could possibly test this out in their own environment and see if any of their free account users can access PRO content?

Just curious.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors