Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Development and production environments

Hi

We have an workspace that has a dataset and reports; these use direct query. We would like to set up a seperate workspace as a development/QA environment where the dataset can connect to the Azure SQL (development) database.

The first issue is moving the reports to a new workspace. I download the dataset and then replublish to the new (dev) workspace. But when I download the reports, these are "attached" to the dataset and it is not possible to publish then to the new workspace.

How can we set up a dev and prod in this way manually to get us started?

Any have any pointers as to do this in a more professional way - in a release pipeline - going forward?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am interested to know how others manage this product life cycle.  If you create a Dev workspace to save all dev version of report. then you end up multiple dev-worksopace for various teams?

Currently one workspace cannot contain another workspace, so you end something like Sale_Dev, Marketing_Dev etc?

Hello @v-piga-msft  , @Anonymous , @Anonymous ,

I would also like to know how others are managing life cycle of reports. I also have dilemma of how to manage DEV and PROD Reports for each client. It is becoming really tough and messy to manage DEV and PROD Reports for each client. Please guide.

Thanks.

It is now possible with "Deployment Pipelines" which is introduced in May-2020 and only available with Premium capacity. If you have a PRO license then you will have to manage it manually.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, could you please share the solution or always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Yes Thanks, it is possible to do this manually. And it is possible to duplicate a workspace using powershell.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/duplicate-workspaces-using-the-power-bi-rest-apis-a-step-by...

In an ideal world the powerbi would integrate with VSTS/DevOps 🙂

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, it seems that we cannot move the reports to a new app workspace directly in Power BI currently. 

By my tests, I could download report from app workspace A then republish it to app workspace B. I'm a little confused about your sceanrio, what is the "attached"? 

In addition, you could refer to this similar thread which may give you another choice.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors