Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

duplo
Frequent Visitor

Desktop vs Bi Service: Visual Interactions to Filters Slicers

Hi,

Im trying to understand if there is a difference between Desktop and Service regarding possibility to have slicers being filtered by other visuals. Is it limited to Desktop or am I doing something wrong when building and publishing my reports?

Desktop version:  Setting "edit interactions" on any visual (for example, a table, matrix, chart...) to also filter a Slicer, works perfectly. Interacting with my visuals making selections and filtering also filters Slicers so that only filtered items are visible and "sliceable" in the slicer.

However after publishing and opening the same report in Bi Service...

Power Bi Service: Only slicers are filtering other slicers. Interactions with any other kind of visuals that was set to also filter a slicer in Desktop version does not impact slicers, regardless of how i set them up. They are always showing all values.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @duplo,

Based on my test, whether in desktop or in service, interact filter between visual and slicer is not supported. We can only use slicer to filter visual. Clicking any item in a visual doesn't affect the available selections in slicer.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi & Thanks, 

First i was puzzled by your reply, I was so sure. But after going over and investigating vanilla slicer behaviour I realise now that I was way to general in assuming all slicers are created equal.

Specifically my question is related to the "Attribute Slicer" and "Table Sorter"  custom visuals. I just assumed they were beefed up variations of a normal slicer as they can slice and filter both visuals and other slicers... and thought the same applied to vanilla slicers as well. Sorry for the confusion...

So, my question then.... Smiley Happy  

The Attribute Slicer and Table Sorter, which seems to be some form of hybrid slicer/filter, or?:

In Desktop Version:  Interacting with visuals can filter both the Attribute Slicer and Table Sorter, it works like a charm in both ways

In Bi Service: Attribute Slicer and Table Sorter seems to loose their awesome "hybridness" and are unaffected by other visuals. Only other slicers (incl Attribute Slicer, Table Sorter, vanilla slicer) can filter them.

Do you know if this is a limit by design or something im doing wrong?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors