Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Deployment pipelines Parameters Invalid Rule

I have parameters set for my server and database for my data source

Im attempting to change to my test database

InvalidRule.JPG

I know that this is correct and I have made sure I can log in to the data source in Service. All the credentials are OK. I cant work out why its saying Invalid Rule. Any help would be appreciated. the same thing happens when you do it through creating a database rule. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have figured out the issue. Before you set up the rule, you need to go to the data set settings in your new App workspace. there you can ensure the correct parameters are in place and you have signed into the data source.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@DebbieE,

it sounds like it should work.

can you share more info on the datasource type and connection type,

or how are you using the param as part of the connection?

I have created these in desktop

ManageServerParam.JPG

DBParam.JPG

And I have 3 sql databases on the server as a test

I have changed the database parameter in desktop. the last one wasnt working because of the table name. This is now resolved.

Back in the Pipeline...

parameterRules.JPG

InvalidRule.JPG

No still saying invalid rule to both. I cant see any issues at all so Im currently very stuck. Am I doing something wrong?

InvalidRuleNoneParameter.JPG Exactly the same issue when I try it as a data source rule.

The data source is an Azure SQL database.

So I cant do either at the moment. 

Thanks for the thorough information.

regarding data source rules- this can't work if you already parameterized the server and DB,

it can only work with parameters now.

regarding parameters- please opena support ticket so we can further investigate.

if you have pipeline ID and error IDs, please provide them.

Thanks for the info. I discovered what it was yesterday, I had to go into settings of the new App workspace and set up the parameters to the correct one. I also had to refresh the data source with user name and password. then I went back to the pipeline and it worked.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have figured out the issue. Before you set up the rule, you need to go to the data set settings in your new App workspace. there you can ensure the correct parameters are in place and you have signed into the data source.

Hi Debbie,

I am facing the similar issue with the dataflows, Can you provide me the detail steps on how did you resolved it?

Thanks,

Arsene

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

i think its changed a fair bit since I last did this "

regarding data source rules- this can't work if you already parameterized the server and DB,

it can only work with parameters now"

basically I dont set the parameters in the Pbix file at all. I always use data flows because Im in Premium and simply connect the pbix to the dataflow thats set up. then in test and Prod its easy to set up the dataflow to use the correct data source in deployment Pipelines.

So fot this one, I never parameterise in the pbix file

got it. even i'm doing the same. i am trying to parameterise in the dataflow and connect the pbix to the dataflow. later i deployed it to Test workspace but when i try to change the parameter value (under dataflow parameter rule) in the deployment pipeline for test workspace, it is showing invalid rule error.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @DebbieE 

you may refer to this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-troubleshooting#why-di...

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have done everything the document says and its still failing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors