Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AAnneLaure
Regular Visitor

Deployment of a Tabular model to PBI Services from VS via the XMLA endpoint

Hi all,

I am currently having a Tabular model deployed to AAS, using two sql db with tables set up in import mode.

Due to architectural changes, I would like to migrate my model to PBI Services using the new XMLA endpoint to evaluate what would a composite model bring us on PowerBI Premium Services.

Two questions.

• An error message on the first deployment to PBI Services

I'm developing on VS and I've tried to deploy from there
I've followed the documentation there: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-connect-tools

I'm getting the following error message:

------ Deploy started: Project: xxx, Configuration: Development x86 ------
Cannot deploy metadata. Reason: COM error: Microsoft.MWC.Workload.Client.Library, {"error":{"code":"StorageInvalidData","pbi.error":{"code":"StorageInvalidData","parameters":{},"details":[]}}}.

-> Are there settings or additional elements to take into account for this first deployment to work?

I have only specified the name of the workspace in that format powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/myworkspace

• Has any of the community members tried to migrate a tabular model from AAS to PBI Services?

Using VS as the main dev tool - what are your experience and lessons learned there?

I'm still struggling so see interface-wise how Visual Studio via Analysis Services Project can support composite models, my software is up-to-date but I cannot find all the settings offered via the PBI Desktop interface (storage options, incremental refreshes etc)? Or did I miss anything there?

Thanks for your experience & feedback!

Anne-Laure

2 REPLIES 2
duncanmi
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am also struggling to understand the limitations around "tabular model projects in VS" versus "Power BI Desktop model dev"

This article by Paul T is evry helpful, and I have left a comment there to get more info on the above, specifically around the composite model dev in VS and the limited set of connectors available when getting data.
https://sqlserverbi.blog/2020/05/24/demystifying-the-power-bi-xmla-endpoint

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AAnneLaure ,

Please refer to the article.

What Does XMLA Endpoints Mean for Power BI and How to Test it for Free? 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors