Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kwarren35
Frequent Visitor

Deployment Pipelines publishing to Dev is not replacing report as expected

Hello, 

I had 6 reports in my production workspace. 1 of the 6 reports, is being used as the sole dataset for all reporting. 

I had our admin deploy all reports from this workspace we defined as "Production", backwards into "Test" and then to "Development" workspaces that were naturally created out of deployment pipelines feature use. 

All reports were in sync (Green Check across workspaces)

I went to update a report in the "Development" but when I tried to publish over a report with the same name, it created a duplicate copy with the same name.

I tried it for another report, and it did successfully publish over the report in "Development" workspace. 

Both reports are sourced from the same dataset in the "Production" workspace. 

Why are we not able to consistently update all reporting content?

Do we have to start with Dev instead of Prod for this to work?

I really dont want to have to re-set all subscriptions and access levels for all members in production while also having production down. 

This is so close to working awesome for us that I do not want to give up!

6 REPLIES 6
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi @Kwarren35,

the reason we built 'backwards deployment' is exactly your reason- so you can use Production WS with all of its configuration and usage already.

Not sure i understand what happened- you tried to re-publish from Desktop a PBIX and it didn't override that report?

And for a different dataset+ report it did work?

did you do anything different between those 2 'backward copied' PBIXs?

basically it should work as any other PBIX you re-publish from Desktop to a WS, as Dev WS is just another WS.

Hello @Nimrod_Shalit,

I'm having the same issue.  I have the pbix file published to Dev.  These WS are already set up Dev-Test-Prod and already have a version of the dataset and report in the WS.

Once I publish to Dev, this works just fine.  It updates and publishes fine.

I then Deploy to Test by selecting the Report and Dataset in the Pipeline.  It replaces in Test fine.  I do have in Test the Rules set up to change the environment to Test data.  So I then refresh the dataset to make sure it updates and the Report opens - No Errors.  Dataset - No Errors.  Check that it points to Test data- Works.

I then go to Pipeline again to Deploy to Production, select the report and dataset.  I go into the WS and I see duplicate dataset and duplicate report, just created.  Why is this happening?  I have this happening on other WS's also.  How do I fix this issue.  I cannot delete the old and leave the new one because it messes up the App links.  I need it to 'Replace' the existing in Production.  Don't get it.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

@Nimrod_Shalit  - I am an Admin on Power BI and doing deployments on Workspaces.

@cbrsmus195,

It might be that for some reason the reports and datasets between test and Prod were not created from each other, so the items are not connected and hence they are creating duplicates.

In order to solve the problem, you can do the following:

1. unassign one of the stages, either test or Prod.

2. re-assign it back to the same stage. once this happens, it creates connections between all items based on their names. Make sure that there are no duplicates before you do this operation.

3. Try and deploy again, and you should be able to just update the relevant reports/datasets.

One caveat is that when unassigning a workspace, you lose the rules that are configured, and you will need to manually configure them again. So preferably unassign the workspace without rules, or the one with least rules. Since you have rules in Test as described, consider unassigning Prod. 
other than rules, there's no implications on unassigning and assigning back.
HTH,

Upvote this comment as it fixed my exact same issue 🙂

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I know currently you have to go from Dev to Test to Production or Dev to Production.

If you want to get some updates please vote for it in https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors