Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mitchvdd
Frequent Visitor

Deployment Pipelines -Datasource rules for Power BI Report with the connection to a Power BI Dataset

I am currently investigating to use Deployment Pipelines for the deployement of Power BI Reports. These reports have a live connection with a Power BI Dataset which is placed in a separate workspace (as the best practices of Power BI describe). Unfortunately I am not able to set any datasource rules for these reports in the Deployment Pipeline. I would like to connect the reports in DEV, with DEV dataset, etc.

Is this currently possible?

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Anyone know if there are any updates to this issue?
We want to have a full workflow using azure devops and then deployment pipeliens so our users can test the report. 

Hello Killjoy. We are facing similar issue. Could you please let me know if you have found any solution to this.

HinaS

We are using reports with live connection to datasets in another workspace - This is a major issue blocking us. We need to to be able to change the connection parameter from dev to test or test to prod when deploying these reports

What is the solution and when can we get it? 

There are rules in deployment pipelines that you can use to change to parameter values.

hale
Advocate I
Advocate I

Im just trying the deployment pipeline today and come accross this issue. Hopefully this gets addressed soon.

Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@RedYsl , @Mitchvdd @juancho182 , @lbendlin 

multiple pipelines support is now live!

read more about it in our blog announcement- Deployment pipelines- Azure DevOps extension, multiple pipelines working together, Dataflows GA | Mi...

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

This works for paginated reports live connected to datasets or SSAS but doesn't work with live connected pbix! 
Also noted a security issue with paginated Datasource transformation showing actual V-address of server in cloud!

Correct that this is still not possible for pbix reports...

Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@Mitchvdd,

unfortunatley, this is still not possible yet.

We are planning to close this gap by the end of the year.

In the meantime, a possible workaround would be to set all reports to connect to the PROD dataset, and have local reports within the dataset pipeline, where you can test changes in the datasets. 

Another option is not to manage the dataset in a pipeline, and use it for reports only.

Hi @Nimrod_Shalit @Mitchvdd Does anyone know if this is still not possible? I have the same scenario of connecting to live pbi datasets in other workspaces as well, and it is still not giving me the option to change the deployment rules so I can connect to the correct PBI dataset as it goes through the pipeline. Has it really not been delivered almost 2.5 years later or am I missing something?

Hi @Nimrod_Shalit as we are in Q4 now, any updates on this topic? Can I use deployment pipelines to point live connections to DEV, QA and PROD respectively?

Thanks,

I'm happy that this is a gap you would like to close, but until this is possible I'm unable to use the Deployment Pipelines (which I personally am a big fan of!). However, it works very well for Power BI Dataset in combination with datasource rules. 

When you have local reports within the workspaces connected to another datasource it's not possible the push a report from DEV to ACC with Deployment Pipelines. So the problem is not with datasets, but with reports...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes, that's how it is designed. Have you used the dataset parameters?  If yes, where are you stuck?

As far as I kown, for reports based on Live Connection Dataset we don't have access to the connection string where we can add parameters.

Waiting desperatly for March releae : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2021wave2/power-bi/deployment-pipelines...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors