Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ldittmann970
Advocate III
Advocate III

Deployment Pipeline [Development] stage pbix download deletes dataset info

Hello - I am experiencing an unexpected issue where downloading my pbix from the development workspace and opening it up to work on it results in the dataset deleting from the file.  I receive the "There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied" where if 'Apply Changes' is selected, the whole model dissappears.  I can choose to 'Discard changes' and add my intended source info, but less than ideal.  Any input on why the server info disappears from the Development stage of the Deployment pipeline? The answer in this ticket implies the initial stage should not experience this issue...
  We are using PPU licenses.  Additionally, I intially created this pipeline by deploying 'backwards' from the Production workspace to maintain the links on the Production workspace.

ldittmann970_0-1661376435591.png

Thanks so much!

3 REPLIES 3
LeeBenjamin
Employee
Employee

Hi @ldittmann970 ,
Downloading a pbix from a workspace that its content was created by the deployment pipeline process is not supported. Meaning, download pbix from the pipeline stage that initiate the pipeline (was created by assigning ws and not by deployment of next/previous stage) would work. Doing the same from the other stages of this pipeline is not supported. Also, please advise that in the case of workspace being first assigned to test/prod stage, then deployed backward to previous stage and lastly deployed from there, downloading pbix is not supported either.
Best regards,

Lee

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ldittmann970 ,

After deployment, downloading a dataset (from the stage it's been deployed to) isn't supported.

The three stages of Power BI deployment pipeline are :

1. Development: In this stage, you can design, build, and share Power BI reports and their content.

2. Test: In this stage, you can upload the modified report content so it can be moved to the test stage. You can follow these steps in the test environment:

• Share content with testers and reviewers
  • Load and run tests with larger volumes of data
  • Test your app to see how it will look for your end users

3. Production: After testing the report content, you can use the production stage to share the final report content with the business users across the organization.

It seems that the [Development] stage is inclueded in deployment.

For more details, please refer to:

Deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, process - Power BI |...

Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) deployment pipelines overview - Power BI | Microsoft...

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI Jianbo Li,

Thank you for your response.  To clarify your response, can you confirm that once a deployment pipeline has been "activated" (meaning the deployment process has been run through from Development through Production), the only way to interact with/edit the dataset (in a supported manner) is with a .bim editing tool such as tabular editor or Visual Studio, and the only way to edit the .pbix is in the Service?
Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors