Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

Deployment Pipeline Calculated columns

Trying to understand Deployment Pipeline.

Pushed changes from test to Prod via deployment pipeline, I noticed Calculated columns got recalcualted.

Was able to notice it as the column is based on Today() dax and it got changed to the day I pushed the changes, not the day data was refreshed (which was a week ago).

Is this normal function or a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

That's what I would expect. If you don't actually want today, then maybe you can take a MAX over one of the date columns in your dataset instead.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mshparber
Advocate I
Advocate I

Strange, because when I deploy from Dev to Test and Dev has a new calculated column, it is NOT calculated in the Test... The visual shows error

@mshparber I see the same as you now. I want to say this is a bug based on what I found a year ago but who knows maybe it was bug back then and MS finally fixed it. Can someone from MS (who is reading this) to advise if this is a bug or not?

Hi,

This is not a known issue. Please open a support ticket for us to investigate it.

Thank you,

Lee

acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

@AlexisOlson  Thanks for the confirmation. Unfotunately I can't use max date, would you know if I move the calculated column to Power Query side (DateTime.LocalNow ) if the same thing would happen? Would the column  get re-calculated in power query if deployed via deployment pipeline?

It would use the time when the query was refreshed. I'd guess that the query would be refreshed during deployment.

Maybe you can create a dataflow that both test and prod connect to so that they can both be in sync?

Thanks for the confirmation again. Going to just put Today() in the source side since data from there does not aut-refresh when deployed using deployment pipeline.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

That's what I would expect. If you don't actually want today, then maybe you can take a MAX over one of the date columns in your dataset instead.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors