Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

setis
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Deleted main dataset

I deleted the main dataset of several reports with a live connection to this dataset. 

This was as an attempt to fix an issue with the gateway, but it was pretty stupid now that I realize that. 

I uploaded the same dataset again to the same workspace with the same name. 

All the reports live connected to this dataset disappeared. The problem is that I can't even open the pbix files for these reports in desktop. I get this  "Unable to connect" error. 

errr.PNG

When I click on "Edit" nothing happens. 

Is there a solution for this or do I have to rebuild all these reports again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
veganEarth
Frequent Visitor

I just had this exact same problem! I think there is something wrong with the current versions of the Desktop as in the past you could point to another dataset if you blew away the source file.

This seems to be a recurring issue as I found this thread from 2017:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Source-published-in-Power-BI-Service-deleted-PBI-Deskto...

The only solution I could come up with was rolling back the Desktop version. I used version May 2019 and I was able to point the reports to the republished data source. You may be able to use a later version but this was the one I had lying around.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
setis
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

thanks a lot for your help @veganEarth it worked. 

veganEarth
Frequent Visitor
veganEarth
Frequent Visitor

I just had this exact same problem! I think there is something wrong with the current versions of the Desktop as in the past you could point to another dataset if you blew away the source file.

This seems to be a recurring issue as I found this thread from 2017:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Source-published-in-Power-BI-Service-deleted-PBI-Deskto...

The only solution I could come up with was rolling back the Desktop version. I used version May 2019 and I was able to point the reports to the republished data source. You may be able to use a later version but this was the one I had lying around.

Good luck!

@veganEarth thanks for your quick reply. I'm dying inside.. Where do I find a May 2019 (or earlier) version of power BI??
Edit. I found a link

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors