Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted Dashboard....Now End Users Cannot View The Report Under "Shared With Me" in Power BI Service

A while back, you had to create a dashboard in order to share a report with others. Power BI now allows a developer to share a report directly without the hassle of creating a dashboard with at least 1 pinned tile.

I'm trying to clean up some of my Power BI shared content by deleting dashboards that I don't really need and letting the end users go directly to the "Report." After deleting one of them, I had an end user check to make sure it disappeared in Power BI Service. I found some inconsistencies in how it was removed.

For starters, the dashboard was removed from the "Shared With Me" section, but so was the report as well. Now if the user had marked the report as a favorite or had recently viewed the report, they could still get to it via the "Favorites" or "Recent" sections in PBI Service. I think this is very confusing and our company has a shortcut to take all users to the "Shared With Me" section so that all of the content they have access to will be in 1 spot.

I did find out if I reshared the report (even though the user still shows as having access to the report), the end user could once again see it in the "Shared With Me" section, but this option is not feasible as I have hundreds of users and numerous Power BI "Dashboards" that I want to remove.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, end users have access to the reports in the Recent and Favorites sections although the related dashboard has been removed indeed. As when you share the dashboard to users, the related report will be shared as well. What’s more, if you only shared the dashboard, end users cannot see the related reports in shared with me pane. You should share the reports separately.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case please.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors