Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rylach
Helper II
Helper II

Definition of data query in report based on shared dataset

Hi,

I have two reports in Power BI Service based on one dataset (sql tables imported via PBI Gateway from on-premises database). The first report has been initialy created in PBI Desktop then uploaded to Service - this created a dataset with the same name as report. Then one of my users created a copy of the report in PBI Service.

One of my tables in the first report had a filter in Power Query limiting the rows fetched from database. If I change the filter now (opening the report in Desktop and then publishing it again to Service) the 2nd report working on the same dataset cannot see the new records in database. Is it normal? What can I do now ?

Ryszard.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.
3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@rylach,

Hi Ryszard,

If you filter the data in the Query Editor, you filter the whole dataset. That's why the second report is affected after republishing the dataset. You can filter data with a slicer or a report filter.

Definition of data query in report based on shared dataset.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You're right, it should be afected by query filter, but is not. I mean, when I change the filter in query so, that new records should be available, they are ony available in the main report, not the 2nd one.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.

Hi @rylach,

According to my test, the second report will be updated automatically. 

Did you apply any other filters?

Can you try to create a new table as same as the second table? Then check out what will happen.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors