Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sgsukumaran
Resolver II
Resolver II

Default Dashboard to powerbi user

When a user logon to PowerBI Portal, He/She should see only dashboard for them for their UPN.  The dashboard is built on SSAS tabular model.  how to accomplish this?. 

My assumption is that UPN is their email Address. Is it different and how can I see their UPN details?

6 REPLIES 6

@sgsukumaran

Power BI is based on the users credentials. You are correct in the UPN being the mapping from on premises AD to AAD.

It largely depends on what you mean with they should see only the dashboard for them.

First, you need to create the report/dashboard. Then you need to share it with that user. You can share it via an AD security group in which that user is a part of, or directly to the user. Then the user will see it in their workspace when they log in.

If you are implementing Row Level security in your model, the same actions apply above, only the user will automatically be filtered to see only what they should - as long as you are connecting to the SSAS tabular model via Direct Query. If you import, you would nede to build the RLS in the Desktop.

So. Create report in Desktop. Publish to Workspace. Create Dashboard. Pin Visuals. Share Dashboard.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Eno1978

Thanks. The users already have access to the model but now i am tryng to filter data based on their powerbi login.

Here is  what i have tried. Created upn table with user details & login email address and incorporated in the model. Also created a dax filter like this

='Ownership'[Merchant]=LOOKUPVALUE(UserUPN[Merchant], UserUPN[UPN], USERNAME(), UserUPN[Merchant], 'Ownership'[Merchant])

I was expecting the RLS to work as it is in the model and report.

@sgsukumaran Ah. I understand what you are asking now. The UPN is converted to your Windows creds. The users values should be set up as Domain\UserName. Check out this walk through here. Task 6 talks about the conversion of effectiveusername when connecting to the model. While this example is for SSAS Tabular models, the same rules apply in the Desktop (Because it is also a Tabular model)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

The UPN is through enterprise gateway for Powerbi online portal and it is managed through groups. Anyway to identify individual users by login?

@sgsukumaran Yeah, it all just works. Power BI knows who the end users are because they have to log into their own workspace, have to have a Pro license, etc. So if you manage the distribution of the report by sharing to a security group, it still knows who the users are when they access the report.

@Seth_C_Bauer

I tried all possible filters using dominname/username and email combinatio. Nothing seems to get fitered though. Any good refernce on how to filter users based on login in tabular?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors