Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datetime slicer - wrong values in Service (not in Desktop however)

Hello everyone

I've got a problem with timeframe slicer and a small calculation based on the selected timeframe. I have a fairly simple setup to test.

I just want to select a timeframe and get an aggregated sum based on the values:

2018-02-28 07_27_40-Sales - Power BI Desktop.png

This works fine in Desktop, the show values are correct. However, if I publish it to pbi Service, way too high numbers are shown, even if nothing is changed:

2018-02-28 07_29_46-Sales – Power BI.png

A small data export reveals the reason for this.

2018-02-28 07_31_23-data.xlsx - Excel.png

There are dates selected which are outside the slicers range (we can choose dates until the 2018-12-31). The sum of the values after this date is exactly the same as the difference between Desktop and Service. 

Is this a known bug? Is there any way to work around this? The numbers from the years 2050 and 2099 are not there by mistake but rather for technical and business reasons, so they cannot be filtered out in the datasource.

If this is a bug, any idea how to address it and workaround for us, until it being fixed?

Best regards

Patrick

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi boca87,

I have tested slicer on my side but it worked correctly like below.

In desktop:

desktop.PNG

In service:

Service.PNG

Are you using direct/query or import mode? Please refresh data in Power BI desktop and dataset in Power BI service at the same time then check if report display the same data.

In addition, for further test, could you please share your PBIX file with me?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy,

sorry for my late response.

I'm pretty confident that I found the cause for the error. Numbers, which are not referenced in the date table are always included in aggregation forms in Service, but only when there is no filter set in Desktop. But since the behaviour of Service and Desktop differs, I seriously consider this a bug!

I cannot share the original data set, since it contains sensitive data. However, I recreated the error. I only used two tables: Date has data from 2017-01-01 to 2018-12-31. Values has the same value of 10 for every first of the month from 01/2017 to 12/2019.

2018-03-02 10_29_41-Sales_Test - Power BI Desktop.png

Then I create a simple report, only with a date slicer and a Card showing the sum. When I just remove the filters from the date slicer every value is aggregated, even those after 2018 and therefore not in the date table (next picture on the right). However, if I set an filter (pictures on the left) the shown value differs in Desktop (upper image) and Service (bottom image).

2018-03-02 10_32_12-Sales_Test - Power BI Desktop.png2018-03-02 10_36_30-Sales_Test – Power BI.png

I also uploaded the pbix, so you can try it yourself. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiowvDsISu19g5kw8FgX8yQKRuPI2Q

I would have found some ways to fix it (expanding Date table until 2099, give some additional value for dates outside a certain range...). 

However, I still think this is a bug, which should be fixed.

Thank you

Patrick

Hi boca87,

Please update PBI desktop to the latest version. This bug has been fixed in the latest version.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi boca87,

Thanks for your reply.

I have reproduced your issue on my side. And I have reported this issue to PG, will update here when I receive any result.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors