Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dated credentials on SharePoint content

Hi everyone! 

I've ran into this issue a few times now and decided to ask for your input. We have a lot of Power BI reports that draw data from content in our SharePoint - environment. The credentials used to connect to that data use OAuth2 - protocol on organizational level. Sometimes when our ICT-admin makes some organization wide changes to our authentication processess, these data connections get severed because the credential are after that dated. 

At the moment it's just an inconvenience. The updates are interrupted and all the credentials need to be manually updated in our Power BI work spaces. But there might be a time in the future when there is no in-house Power BI experience in use and these situations might pose a bigger vulnerability. Naturally we have documented how to fix these issues, but the ideal solution would be to eliminate these issues altogether. 

Does anyone have knowledge on how a connection could be set to SharePoint or OneDrive content in a way the the credentials won't be severed when organizational changes to authorization processes are made? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-jayw-msft , 

thank you for your reply! In our organization the problem was the MFA method which was taken into wider use. Our IT-admin decided at this time to solve this by having one admin account for Power BI, Flow, PowerApps connections that is left outside of the MFA process. Not an ideal solution, but will do for the time being. 

I found this article service principal, which would seem to solve the issue: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embed-service-principal.  I'll ask our IT-admin at some point, if this would be a good solution for us too. 

Thanks for the help, you all! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Heidi ,

Please refer to the last two troubleshootings of the below document and see if it solved your problem:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios#data-refresh-fai...

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-jayw-msft , 

thank you for your reply! In our organization the problem was the MFA method which was taken into wider use. Our IT-admin decided at this time to solve this by having one admin account for Power BI, Flow, PowerApps connections that is left outside of the MFA process. Not an ideal solution, but will do for the time being. 

I found this article service principal, which would seem to solve the issue: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embed-service-principal.  I'll ask our IT-admin at some point, if this would be a good solution for us too. 

Thanks for the help, you all! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors