Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jglenntiger

Date slicer no longer allows typed dates in Power BI Service

Hello,

Within the last week or so, I've noticed that users can no longer type a custom date range within a slicer.

In the example below, users used to be able to type in "9/15/2021" and "10/15/2021" to see all timecards between September 15, 2021 and October 15, 2021. Now a calendar drop-down appears and you are forced to select a date on the calendar.

It is still possible to use the slider bars to select the date range, but most users in my company are accustomed to typing in dates into the two boxes and are frustrated this is no longer allowed.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jglenntiger_0-1649089654773.png

10 REPLIES 10
JonathanC201

I've been able to enter a date if I right-click on the cell, but its iffy. Wonder if anybody has come up with a better solution.

gwright15
Helper I
Helper I

does anyone have a fix for this?  or a 3rd party solution?

PR036955
Frequent Visitor

Same issue - very annoying update. We are working with huge date ranges in our data (30 years +) so having to click through the years is extremely frustrating. 

PR036955
Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue, following for resolution. Extremely annoying update!

BrianPrice
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue.

Furthermore:

1.  Used to be able to click on days in the prior month without having to click the up arrow to navigate to that month.  Those dates are now "unclickable".

BrianPrice_0-1649096764993.png

2.  4/3 represents the most recent date that we have data for in this particular report.  If I click on 4/1 or 4/2, 4/3 becomes unclickable.  I now have to switch months and then switch back for 4/3 to become clickable again.

BrianPrice_1-1649096916679.png

It's frustrating. Something changed with how date slicers operate and now they are a pain to use.

kumarthombre20
Resolver I
Resolver I

@jglenntiger Can you update the Power BI Desktop version and try to publish again in the Service
we can able to insert the date in the slicer.

kumarthombre20_0-1649090938131.png

Download Latest Power BI Desktop 
https://aka.ms/pbiSingleInstaller

The date slicer has been updated to a new version in a recent Power BI Desktop release. The new date slicer version allows manual entry or it allows you to pick from the calendar drop down.

Now, if you open a new (blank) report with a recent Power BI Desktop version and you add a date slicer to it, the slicer will work as described above (the most recent version of the date slicer will be added).

However, if you open an existing report (originally created with an old Power BI Desktop release) and you add a date slicer, the slicer will not work as described above (the old date slicer version will be added to the report). It will not work even if you open the existing report with the most recent Power BI Desktop release.

Is it possible to update date slicers created with old Power BI Desktop releases to the newest date slicer version?

I think the issue is that it works in the desktop but not on the service which is hugely frustrating. Anyone managed a fix or found this documentation in any release notes?

@kumarthombre20 I downloaded the March 2022 release of Power BI desktop and re-published the report. Unfortunately, it is still not possible to enter dates in the slicer.

jglenntiger_0-1649098833614.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors