Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hambach
Frequent Visitor

Date hirarchy gets lost on import to excel's Pivottable?

Hi everyone,

I have a dataset in power bi that works fine. I have a few columns with production, revenue and their year to date values.

But if I now want to import the dataset as a pivottable in excel using Get Data -> From PowerBI, it seems I loose my data hirarchy from PowerBI. I can only filter through the actual dates of each row (which there are many), not for example a full year, and if I try to include the YTD values I get the error message: MdxScript(Model) (14, 2) that quickmeasures with time intelligence can only be filtered/grouped through PowerBI's date hirarchy or primary date column.

Hambach_0-1663086103141.png

What exactly am I missing that excel is not using my date hirarchy from PowerBI?

Thank you for your time!

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Hambach 

According to the reply from product team, this is an issue with Excel client, not with Power BI.

Power BI hierarchies missing when data model consu... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Currently, if a Power BI model contains a DirectQuery or Dual mode table, and that same model also contains attribute hierarchies, those hierarchies are not accessible when the model is consumed through Excel.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi, thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately I am still a beginner and I don't know what that implies.

We get our power-bi data from a few excel-sheets in teams sharepoint.

Does that mean, that for now, it will not work for me and there is no work-around?

Hi, @Hambach 

Yes, for now, there is no work-around in PowerBI.

Product team considered the main problem to be Excel client.

You need get help from an Office support agent.

Contact - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors