Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hambach
Frequent Visitor

Date hirarchy gets lost on import to excel's Pivottable?

Hi everyone,

I have a dataset in power bi that works fine. I have a few columns with production, revenue and their year to date values.

But if I now want to import the dataset as a pivottable in excel using Get Data -> From PowerBI, it seems I loose my data hirarchy from PowerBI. I can only filter through the actual dates of each row (which there are many), not for example a full year, and if I try to include the YTD values I get the error message: MdxScript(Model) (14, 2) that quickmeasures with time intelligence can only be filtered/grouped through PowerBI's date hirarchy or primary date column.

Hambach_0-1663086103141.png

What exactly am I missing that excel is not using my date hirarchy from PowerBI?

Thank you for your time!

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Hambach 

According to the reply from product team, this is an issue with Excel client, not with Power BI.

Power BI hierarchies missing when data model consu... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Currently, if a Power BI model contains a DirectQuery or Dual mode table, and that same model also contains attribute hierarchies, those hierarchies are not accessible when the model is consumed through Excel.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi, thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately I am still a beginner and I don't know what that implies.

We get our power-bi data from a few excel-sheets in teams sharepoint.

Does that mean, that for now, it will not work for me and there is no work-around?

Hi, @Hambach 

Yes, for now, there is no work-around in PowerBI.

Product team considered the main problem to be Excel client.

You need get help from an Office support agent.

Contact - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors