Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NadiaChaudry
Regular Visitor

Date format to automatically suit different report consumers

Hi, I have a report that is used by clients in the US and Europe. Is it possible to use the same report and have the date format adapt to the consumers region/language settings?

I have two date fields in my report, and the strange thing is that once published, one of them is in US-format and the other in EU-format. 

NadiaChaudry_0-1617867280650.png

Thanks, Nadia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NadiaChaudry ,

As the official document saidyou can choose a locale for a specific report to be something other than the locale in your version of Power BI Desktop. The locale changes the way Power BI interprets data when it's imported from your data source. For example, is "3/4/2017" interpreted as 3 April or March 4?

You could go to File > Options and settings > Options >under Current file, select Regional Settings >In the Locale for import box, select a different locale.

4.9.2.region.PNG

In the query editor you can simply right click on the date column and select Change Type/Using Locale.

4.9.2.using locale.jpg

In addition, Power BI translates and formats column names and values according to the model language. For example, if the model was created by using English, it will still show month names, and so on, in English, even if viewed with a Korean client.

Refer to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGppsnepJFo

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-auto-date-time

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NadiaChaudry ,

As the official document saidyou can choose a locale for a specific report to be something other than the locale in your version of Power BI Desktop. The locale changes the way Power BI interprets data when it's imported from your data source. For example, is "3/4/2017" interpreted as 3 April or March 4?

You could go to File > Options and settings > Options >under Current file, select Regional Settings >In the Locale for import box, select a different locale.

4.9.2.region.PNG

In the query editor you can simply right click on the date column and select Change Type/Using Locale.

4.9.2.using locale.jpg

In addition, Power BI translates and formats column names and values according to the model language. For example, if the model was created by using English, it will still show month names, and so on, in English, even if viewed with a Korean client.

Refer to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGppsnepJFo

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-auto-date-time

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @NadiaChaudry ,

In most situations, the report is automatically using the local computer's settings to set the dates and other information.  If you are referring to the Service itself only then, you could do this with a conditional format type of situation - the easiest being to give the person a choice of which date format to use and then that flips the dates back and forth.  You could also just add a UK version of the date field and a US version of the date field and use that to dsiplay based on a selection.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi Collinq,

So I have customers in Europe and in US as well. In europe the date notation is DD-MM-YYYY and in US the datenotation is MM/DD/YYYY.

Do I understand correctly that it is not possible to set that when a user in US opens the report he will see the MM/DD/YYYY date notation, and when a user opens the report in Europe he sees the DD-MM-YYYY date notation? 

Hi @matDutch ,

The format of the date should be based on the local computer.  And, to be more specific, the local browser language and settings.  With Power BI open in the browser, go to Settings, Settings, General, Language and set to Default (Browser language)

collinq_0-1639684433530.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors