Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sanimesa
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Date format localization inconsistent on service

I noticed that if I specify the date format as *3/14/2001 1:30:55 PM (General Date), it localizes correctly, for instance our UK users see the date as DD/MM/YYYY. However, specifying the date format as m/d/yyyy, it does not localize on UK user machines. Please see the attached image, the format in blue, when specified, correctly renders the date in UK locale. The format in red does not. 

Is this expected behavior? What are the different options so that the date localizes correctly? 

PBI date format localization.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I have found is to make sure the localization is set both on the PC where you are creating the Power BI Desktop files.

And that this matches when you are viewing the reports in the Power BI Service.

I think you can also make the default localization settings within your browser options.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ I do not believe that is the problem. Everything is same, but the same date field, when formatted as the first style format, correctly localizes on my UK user's browser but not when formatted as the second one. See the picture below:PBI date format localization.PNG

Hi @sanimesa ,

Could you please try to update the date type of related date fields as "Using locale" in Power Query Editor?

date format1.jpgdate format2.JPG

In addition, please check and set the proper language preference for the browser. You can refer following documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft This is not working as expected. When I set my browser language to English, UK, the date/time formatted dates correctly display in DD/MM/YYYY. However, the plain date formatted field, even when I set the locale to UK, is not displaying right.

Let me know what you need to look at this issue. 

Hi @sanimesa ,

Can I know how did you set the data type for these plain date formatted fields in Power BI Desktop and browser? Could you please provide the related screenshot of these plain date formatted fields with sample data and display format? Thank you.

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft Here are some screenshots. I have a simple SQL server table with a date field. All me sql server, desktop etc. settings are default US English

Here is what I did:

1. Set my browser setting to UK English.

2. First, format the date on desktop with the date-time format and published.

Result: date fields correctly displated as DD/MM/YYYY

3. Formatted the same date field as a date format.

Result: the date is not taking the browser localization.

Let me know if you need more information. 

Incorrect resultIncorrect resultCorrect ResultCorrect ResultMy settings - set browser to UK to simulate UK userMy settings - set browser to UK to simulate UK user

Hi @sanimesa ,

Could you please try to complete the following steps in Power BI Desktop and check if it can solve your problem?

1. Open Power BI Desktop

2. Set the locale as "English (Unitied Kingdom)" (File->Options and Settings->Options->CURRENT FILE-->Regional Settings)

locale.JPG

3. Open the report file and change the data type of related date fields as "14/03/2001(dd/mm/yyyy)"

locale 2.jpg

4. Save the report and republish it to Power BI Service

Best Regards

Rena

@v-yiruan-msft I can certainly try but what happens to my US users then? Also, the fact that the two different date formats are behaving differently seems like a bug to me. 

Hi @sanimesa ,

It would display the corresponding date format followed the setting of browser language for US users.

Best Regards

Rena

@v-yiruan-msft I followed your direction and set the Locale for import on the desktop as English (UK). This was not an issue since I am importing it from SQL server. In any case, attached are three pictures, one for the PBI Desktop and one each on how it shows up when Browser language settings are set as English (United States) and English (United Kingdom).  Looks like only the General Date format picks up the browser locale. dateformat - browser UK.PNGdateformat - browser US.PNGdateformat - pbix.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors