Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saunders
Helper II
Helper II

Date format - Desktop vs. Service

Hi all,

I have dates formatted as dd/mm/yyyy in Desktop but when I publish to the service the format get changed to mm/dd/yyyy.  How can I force the service to respect my Australian date format and not adopt the US format? 

Note that our PowerBI tenant is in the Australia South East region so I don't know why dates in the service are showing in US format.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Desktop version:

PBI Desktop Date.PNG

Service version:

PBI Service Date.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@saunders

Hi,

I had the same issue by using SSAS. I noticed that in SSAS the data on the data format on the date column was set to either General or short date. Setting the data format to dd/MM/yyyy fixed the issue.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MaxGrispen

Hi All, 

I have te same problem but nothing from the above works. 

My desktop is set to Dutch language same for my Power Bi Desktop. Format is (dd/MM/yyy)

When I make the upload everything is fine. But when I make a refresh it changes all my dates to (MM/dd/yyyy) tough my Power BI Service Language is set to Dutch aswell. 

Hope you guys can help

MatE
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I went through all the changes that you have mentioned here. However, Power BI service did not display the date format(dd/mm/yyyy) until I change the browser language. 

In this case, I was using Chrome. 

Chrome -> settings -> Default browser -> Language -> Add language -> Make sure that you have the correct language setting at the top. 

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@saunders

In Power BI Desktop, it takes the date format of local machine.

5.PNG

6.PNG

However, I can't reproduce your issue. When I publish a report with "d/MM/yyyy" date format onto Power BI Service, it will keeps same format.

7.PNG

Can you republish your .pbix again to see if it works properlly?

Regards,

Hi Simon, thanks for your reply.  I've investigated this more and it seems that, when there is a live connection to Analysis Services or when there is DirectQuery connection to SQL Server, PowerBI displays the US format, not the local format.

Is there anyone else who is experiencing this?

Thanks!

Analysis Service - Import (correct)

Data Test - AS - Import.PNG

Analysis Service - Live Connection (incorrect)

Data Test - AS - Live Connection.PNG

SQL Server - DirectQuery (incorrect)

Data Test - Data Mart - DirectQuery.PNG

@saunders

Hi,

I had the same issue by using SSAS. I noticed that in SSAS the data on the data format on the date column was set to either General or short date. Setting the data format to dd/MM/yyyy fixed the issue.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am located in Australia ,  and have changed all setting to English(Australia) - computer/Edge/Chorme/Power BI.   The Date formate in Desktop and All shown in Edge are accurate in Australia mode.  But the date formate is still in US mode in Google Chrome even the setting is in Australia mode.   could you advise any setting need to change if BI report is shown in Chrome ?

Thanks for the info. Its solved same issue we had in our project 🙂

Hi @irmat,

I had the same problem as @saunders (in Eastern Australia as well) and I've changed my date format under Windows Region settings to the long format dd/mm/yyyy, but still having the same issue.

Am I changing the date format in the wrong place?  If so, where should I be changing it?

In Query editor I changed the type to Date (as it comes through as text via a web link to a dataset from Blackbaud CRM) and getting an error on those dates in which the day is above 12. 

Picture1.jpg

Thanks!

Hi LizHackett,

you're on the right track. I tried all of the changing regional settings and changing the date settings via the Modelling menu in Power BI. None of them worked. I then tried changing the Data Type of my date fields via the Query Editor icon in the Home ribbon. I needed to do this because my date fields are varchars in my source table. Once I did this I clicked on Close and Apply, saved my report and then published - the dates are now staying as dd/mm/yyyy (I'm in Sydney). So the problem all along was that my date fields were varchars. Hope this helps

Hi @LizHackett

Have you maybe tried the below

Capture.PNG

or changing it to English (Australia)? You will have to restart Power BI Desktop after this change.

Capture2.PNG

Hi @irmat

Thanks!! The first solution you suggested to change the date format under Modelling within Desktop  (not in query editor) to dd/mm/yyyy worked 🙂
I made sure I had my location in Desktop set to Australia.

Thanks for your help!

Hey, thanks for the note, that fixed it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors