Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jkneblik

Date Hierarchy in PowerBI Datamart

I'm bringing in about 10 PowerBI Dataflows into a new Datamart (using premium per user). I've noticed that the date hierarchy is  not available when accessing the Datamart as a datasource in Desktop or in the Service. Does anyone know why this would be happening? How would I create a date column to allow hierarchy once in the Datamart? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jkneblik ,

We need to be aware here regarding the date hierarchy.In Power BI Desktop, you select File > Options and settings > Options, and then select either the Global or Current File page. On either page, the option exists in the Time intelligence section.

• Enable automatic date and time
  • The table storage mode is Import
  • The column data type is date or date/time
  • The column isn't the "many" side of a model relationship

When the above conditions are met, the date hierarchy will work for you.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jkneblik ,

We need to be aware here regarding the date hierarchy.In Power BI Desktop, you select File > Options and settings > Options, and then select either the Global or Current File page. On either page, the option exists in the Time intelligence section.

• Enable automatic date and time
  • The table storage mode is Import
  • The column data type is date or date/time
  • The column isn't the "many" side of a model relationship

When the above conditions are met, the date hierarchy will work for you.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

We want to ask about Date Hierarchy in Power BI DataMart, not Power BI Desktop

Are you have any solution for datamart ?

Best regards,

I'm trying to solve the same problem.  Either with automatic date hierarchy or being able to create custom hierarchy using Datamart.  Can't find a way of making this work.

LeoST
Frequent Visitor

Same here. I think you need to create your own date table and connect it. By that you can replicate some of the functions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors