Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Date Hierarchy-Blanks on Service

Hi all!

In the last few days, I'm experiencing strange behavior with date hierarchies on the service.

I have a report (which has been published for several years) with a simple 3 year DAX calendar, date added to the "stock" Power BI slicer, selected "Show All Levels" and deleted Year & Quarter... all good with desktop file. Published report to service and there is suddenly a "Blank" item contained within the filter.

I removed/replaced date in slicer of desktop file and republished without luck. I also tried editing report from service and simply selecting "Date Hierarchy" adds the "Blank" item... I scrolled through list of "non-hierarchy" dates and there were no blanks. 🤔

Any ideas?

TIA, Danny

4 REPLIES 4
musicbydannyd
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Sorry for the late replies. Desktop file is fine... only happens on service. As a quick fix, I just added a global filter to exclude blank dates on all report pages.

musicbydannyd_0-1613509964088.png

Thanks, DannyD

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@musicbydannyd

You mentioned that you removed the Year & Quarter fields from the Dax calendar table, and it is possible that Month & Day may correspond to multiple values. It is recommended that you check the relationship between the tables.
If it is convenient, can you provide us with sample data so that we can help you solve the problem?

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Wow, this is exactly what I noticed in several of my reports, I thought it was just me

My hierarchy date slicer looks just fine in the desktop, but in the service I see as in the screenshot below

In my hierarchy slicer, I have year, quarter and month (from my date table), and I made sure I am only showing items with data

I do have two relationships (one active and one inactive) on my date table to my fact table, and I did find this article discussing inactive relationships and blanks in the date slicer, but I swear this wasn't prior behaviour (at least for blanks showing in the slicer😀)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-active-inactive#inactive-relationsh...

blopez11_0-1612480685313.png

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @musicbydannyd ,

You mention that this is happening on the service, is it in the desktop as well?  Do you have the date field being created as a measure or a calculated column?  Are you joining the date field to another table that may have "blank" in it?  Are you using the dropdown or the slider for the date slicer?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors