Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ccharker
Frequent Visitor

Date Format

Hi, I am an Australian user of Power BI.

Since commencing to use Power BI, my date formats have been displaying in the format dd/mm/yyyy (which is correct for my locale).

This morning, I was reviewing my setting in Power BI Service, and noticed that I did not have a language set. I updated my language to English, and it was not converted all displayed dates to US format mm/dd/yyyy. I cannot change it back to being correct for AUS, and I cannot remove the language setting.

System would appear to assume that if your language is English, then your date format is mm/dd/yyyy (which is just wrong).

Can you please advise if this can be fixed.

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ccharker,

The workaround provided by BhaveshPatel should fix this issue. In addition, here is a similar issue for your reference.

Regards

ccharker
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am an Australian user of Power BI.  Since commencing to use Power BI, my date formats have been displaying in the format dd/mm/yyyy (which is correct for my locale).

This morning, I was reviewing my setting in Power BI Service, and noticed that I dod not have a language set.  I updated my language to English, and it was not converted all displayed dates to US format mm/dd/yyyy.  I cannot change it back to being correct for AUS, and I cannot remove the language setting.

System would appear to assume that if your language is English, then your date format is mm/dd/yyyy (which is just wrong).

Can you please advise if this can be fixed.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

See if this can fix your issue.

Power BI detects your language based on the language preferences on your computer. The way you access and change these preferences may vary depending on your operating system and browser. Here's how to access these preferences from Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.

Internet Explorer 

1. Click the Tools button in the top-right corner of your browser window:

2. Click Internet Options.

3. In the Internet Options dialog, on the General tab under Appearance, click the Languagesbutton.

Google Chrome 

1. Click the menu button in the top-right corner of your browser window:

2. Click Settings.

3. Click Show advanced settings.

4. Under Languages, click the Language and input settings button.

5. Click Add, select a language, and click OK.

The new language is at the end of the list.

6. Drag the new language to the top of the list, and click Display Google Chrome in this language.

You may need to close and reopen your browser to see the change.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi Bhavesh,

thanks for your response, but it does not resolve the issue that I am experiencing.

My language setting is English (Australian).

All otehr browser apps that display dates show as correct dd/mm/yyyy.  However, when I updated the Language setting in Power BI Service from blank (which is what it was), to English (which is what I now have it set to), the date formats for all my Power BI reports and dashboards changed from dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy. 

I can't seem to change it anywhere, or remove the language setting in Power BI Service so that my date formats go back to the correct format.  It appears that the system is set that if your language is English, then your date format is mm/dd/yyyy, which is just not correct.

Is there any way to fix this, or do I now need to change all my reports / dashbaords which is not a good experience, and will probably be the death of using this service in my organisation.

@ccharker could you possibly see what your setting is set to in IE as shown below.

Open Internet Explorer (Yes I know this does not make sense, but it does appear to control all browsers), click on Settings and then Internet Options.

Then as shown below click on Lagnuages, and then see if you have got English (Australia) [en-AU] at the top of your list?

If not, put it at the top and if possible remove all other ones.

Power BI - Australian Date Settings IE.png

Hopefully that will resolve your issue?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors