Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chydewf1
Frequent Visitor

Date Format differences between desktop and online

Hi,

I have some published report on power BI. The desktop app shows the date format in DD/MM/YYYY but when published the online versions show it in MM/DD/YYYY.

How can I correct this, I want both as DD/MM/YYYY?

Thanks

Chris

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @chydewf1

What I did was to change the PC I was working on to use the English Format for the Region Settings as shown below.

PBI Upload.png

And it is displaying fine in the Power BI Service, even with the Gateway refreshing the data.

PBI Upload.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

So I managed to get it to work. Once I signed in to chrome as a registered google user it allowed me to select english in the language setting and set it to default.

Thanks very much for the help

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @chydewf1

What I did was to change the PC I was working on to use the English Format for the Region Settings as shown below.

PBI Upload.png

And it is displaying fine in the Power BI Service, even with the Gateway refreshing the data.

PBI Upload.png

Power BI Blog

Hi Thanks for the replies

The fix works well in internet explorer but I cannot get it to work in Chrome.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

@chydewf1,

I also can't get it work in Chrome. Since there is no existing option to change date format in Power BI Service, I am afraid that you need to use IE in this case.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My screenshot was from Chrome

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ

What version of windows and chrome are you running - I just can't seem to get it to match?

Thanks

Chris

So I managed to get it to work. Once I signed in to chrome as a registered google user it allowed me to select english in the language setting and set it to default.

Thanks very much for the help

Having this issue myself, managed to replicate the different displays in chrome and IE.....

DateIssue.PNG

I was able to partially resolve the issue, by ensuring ALL dates displayed in any report are formatted using a format option without the asterisk. Yes, this is more rigid, and will not be ideal if your audience is multi-national.

However, if your report is for a domestic audience only, then this shouldnt present any issues.

Note: I said i had partially resolved the issue.

It appears that a date slicer formatted to display as a range selection

DateSlicer.PNG

Does not appear to behave itself.

In PBI Desktop this displays as above

In IE:

DateSlicerIE.PNG

And in chrome:

DateSlicerChrome.PNG

Im still looking to see what my options are, but i suspect the filter visual - in this layout/format has a bug or limitation thats causing issue.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

EDIT:
Heres a simple test report i knocked together
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMDkwYmIwMmQtZjAxZC00ODY3LWFhMjEtODE0Y2JjOGQyY2I5IiwidCI6IjA0N...

if you run it in chrome vs IE you see different results in the table, however all the date slicers maintain the English-US date format.

MatE
Frequent Visitor

If you're using Chrome as the browser for the power BI service, change the default language settings. 

Settings -> Dafault browser -> Language -> Select English (Australia) or (UK) as your default language. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@chydewf1,

This is a known issue in Power BI Service, the dates are displayed in MM/DD/YYYY format by default. There are ideas about this issue, please vote them up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11698167-limitation-of-power-bi-o...
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/31837330-english-uk-and-english-u...

In addition, to work around this issue, in the Power BI settings set the Language to: “Default (browser language)” and ensure the browser is set to “English (United Kingdom)”

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors