Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

detlev
Helper I
Helper I

Datasets in refresh errorstate after account which published it is deprovisioned

We have published several company core reports/ datasets which were uploaded initially by accounts/ collegues who are leaving the company. It seems that after disabling the MSAD account or after withdrawing their O365 PBI license the datasets are not refreshed again and other end users run into errors while opening the particular reports. Why is this and how can we prevent this? (Can it only be done with a new, never to be deprovioned account?)

Kind regards,

Detlev

12 REPLIES 12

@detlev Did these users share from a personal workspace, or are you saying that they had admin privlegas in an App Workspace (Old Group Workspace) and that they set up the refresh in that space and it is failing?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, user was owner of a workspace. User published the report. Default refresh was set up (nothing explicitly used). Useraccount was deprovisioned and Power BI licence was withdrawn. Other users opens reportd and get error: "This report couldn't access the data source. Contact [firstname], the author, to have it fixed. Email [firstname]"

@detlev This sounds like expected behaviour. Any reports that are relevant to a wider audience should be published to a group workspace so that others have access to the reports. Secondarily, the reports should not be using a personal gateway.

The only recourse here would be to activate the user that left (change the password), re-provision the Power BI license and move the reports he/she created to another workspace.

Or. If you have access to the PBIX, you could re-deploy, but that seems unlikely that you have that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

And yes, we can "take over ownership of the dataset" but it shouldn’t be necessary in my view. 

@detlev Your final description is what you should have started with. It sounded like everything was in this persons individual workspace and tied to a personal gateway.

Since we've made it around to this point, I'll agree with @Anonymous, you need to make sure the user isn't the credential used on the datasources.

Another thing to check... which i think I ran into is if the initial user set up the refresh on the datasource itself then you might need to update the refresh schedule. For some reason I recall that a user is stored on that bit.

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, thanks again for taking the time to uderstand and asnwer me. Highly appreciated!

which final description are you refering to? Since I only describe the situation as it is (and was before).

We do not use (and have not used) personal workspaces, only company wide one(s) with hundreds of reports.

Personal gateways are never used too, only enterprice ones.

Credentials on datasources (SSAS tabular) in gateways are setup with serviceaccounts.

The last part of your reply exactly points to my issue. 

But it even amazes me more. Why would it store credentials in that bit???? I doesn't make sence to me.

Kind regards

Detlev

@detlev The one where you describe in detail your setup. 

Now, if I understand things correctly, you had a user publish reports using live connection to SSAS and now that the user is gone and the published dataset is breaking because they are still listed as the "This dataset is configured by <User>"

If we're on the same page, let me cycle up the question in other channels... I agree, this makes no sense and defeats the purpose of a group workspace.

@detlev One final question. I'm assuming there are other admins on the workspace and they get the same behavior when trying to access the dataset or report?

Yes, they receive same message. Untill someone takes over ownership of the dataset.

hi @Seth_C_Bauer The reports were indeed published to a 'company used' group workspace. (reports are shared via dashboards on this workspace). So Workspace is owner of the dataset.

Others have access to the reports via shared dashboards. Others have access to the data on the reports through a enterprice gateway to on premise SSAS models.

I miss the need of a publishers credentials in this chain of disclosing data.

gateway datasource credentials initalialy connect to SSAS on prem.

UPN of powerBI user is used as effective username to authenticate on and authorize in SSAS.

In this conecpt for me there is no role for the publishers credentials. But still it breaks the chain when the initial publisher is deprovisioned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@detlevmake sure that your gateway connection to your SSAS is not using an employee to connect to your tabular instance. This might be the issue on the refresh.

Hi @Anonymous We have never used employee credentials in a gateway datasource. We use serviceaccounts with never expiring credentials. 

kind regards

Detlev

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors