Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datasets in Workspace

We are trying to connect datamarts to Power BI and create a centralized dataset that can then be used by various workspaces. How can we do that?
The problem that we are trying to solve is:
- We want to use the centralized dataset that can be used by different workspaces which will, in turn, be accessed by different departments in the company (e.g. IT, HR, Accounts)
- The members in each workspace should only be able to view the datasets that they should have access to (e.g. IT should not be able to view the datasets for the HR even though all the info is in the centralized dataset)

I read on the other channel that I can connect via Analysis services to create a centralized dataset and replicate that dataset in all the workspaces. These workspaces will use a subset of the centralized dataset. How do i do that?:

Q. Are the subset datasets simply pointers to the centralized dataset or are they replicated copies of the entire dataset?
Q, Can the individual datasets (the datasets used in different workspaces) be locked down as per the permissions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous ,

I would suggest you to create new app workspace and assign the user as contributor. Please see doc below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

Capability Admin Member Contributor
Update and delete the workspace. X    
Add/remove people, including other admins. X    
Add members or others with lower permissions. X X  
Publish and update an app. X X  
Share an item or share an app. X X  
Allow others to reshare items. X X  
Create, edit, and delete content in the workspace. X X X
Publish reports to the workspace, delete content. X X X

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Centralized dataset is not existing in power bi service because same report in each workspace will have seperate dataset. 

If your requirement is to let members can only view specific contents, I would suggest you to create a dynamic RLS on the dataset in each workspace.

Third-party blogs Reference:

https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security-groups/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

. Imagine a dataset as a table and we want to have that table be given access to certain workspaces. In terms of the reports, they will be out of our hands because others will create them, based on datasets to which they have access.

@Anonymous ,

I would suggest you to create new app workspace and assign the user as contributor. Please see doc below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

Capability Admin Member Contributor
Update and delete the workspace. X    
Add/remove people, including other admins. X    
Add members or others with lower permissions. X X  
Publish and update an app. X X  
Share an item or share an app. X X  
Allow others to reshare items. X X  
Create, edit, and delete content in the workspace. X X X
Publish reports to the workspace, delete content. X X X

Anonymous
Not applicable

. Imagine a dataset as a table and we want to have that table be given access to certain workspaces. In terms of the reports, they will be out of our hands because others will create them, based on datasets to which they have access.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors