Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dataset vs Analysis Services (Dataset)

Anyone know why some datasets are referenced as Analysis Services and others are a Dataset? This wouldn't be too much of an issue except that the lineage option from a dataset will not report or display any report that considers it an Analysis Service (dataset).

Why are the first two examples considered Anlysis Services and the corresponding reports do not appear when running the lineage from the DS Step Dataset. However, the third example is sourced from the same dataset yet considered it a Dataset and it is displayed within the dataset lineage.

Before someone says the difference is due to a Live vs DQ connection, example four shows a DQ with the dataset displayed as a Dataset. This report does display off of the corresponding dataset lineage.

TSHECKEL_0-1662062602311.png

TSHECKEL_1-1662062667792.png

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @TSHECKEL 

At a very basic level they are analysis services databases.

I would say the reason for the different could be a combination of how the reports connect to the underlying data as well as the version of Power BI Desktop when the report was created.

I personally would not worry or be concerned that they appear to be different. To me it is one and the same.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

This wouldn't be much of a concern accept for the fact that the reports that exhibit the Analysis Services dataset do not appear in the lineage. For example, if I look at the lineage and reports associated with the DS STEP Report dataset, I only see the STEP Product Dataset and OpCO Product Data Quality reports. The Vendor Product Data Quality - V2 and OpCO Product Quality - Jaco reports do not appear as associated reports to the dataset even though they are associated. So, one cannot find all of the reports asociated to the dataset. This is the primary issue. 

TSHECKEL_0-1662124907919.png

Yeah I see what you are now saying. I would try and look at the PBIX and see how it is connecting.

I have older reports that connect via the Analysis Services connector and others that use the Power BI Datasets connector?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors