Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Dataset totally stuck, cannot refresh

I have a dataset in the Power BI Service. Its data source is Amazon Redshift. It normally takes 10-15 minutes to refresh, which it does every few hours.

Yesterday, one refresh got "stuck." It spent several hours where in the "Refresh history" screen it said "In progress;" but on the Datasets screen in the workspace I had the yellow triangle "failure" icon (not the spinning "in progress" icon). It seemed stuck.

After some more time, it seemed to get un-stuck, and in the "Refresh history" screen it displayed this error message:

The refresh operation failed because it took more than 120 minutes to complete. Consider reducing the size of your dataset or breaking it up into smaller datasets.

But now, I cannot refresh the dataset, or anyting. It really is stuck!

Clicking "Refresh now" does nothing. (Well, for a second in the top-right corner, the "Preparing for refresh" message appears, but then nothing happens.)

A scheduled refresh does nothing. (And I don't get an email notification of an error; just...nothing happens.)

I have tried re-publishing the dataset from Power BI Desktop, to overwrite the dataset in the Service…and in Desktop I get a "Success" message...but it does not actually do anything in the service. The old "stuck" version of the dataset persists in the Service.

Any ideas? (I've opened a ticket with Microsoft support, but no help so far, and it's quite urgent!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I should have said: it normally takes around 12 minutes to refresh.

It never takes more than 30 minutes to refresh.

I opened a ticket with Microsoft support, about this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @kevhav , did you solve your problem?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Matsa

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Argh, no...now that refresh that started seems to be doing the same thing it did yesterday. It has been refreshing for more than an hour. On the dataset settings page, it says "Last refresh succeeded: null." I expect I will get that "more than 120 minutes to complete" error again, after a while.

Hi @kevhav,

Sorry for the delay.

For your scenario, it seems that your dataset is very large so it will take about more than 100 minutes to refresh then you will get the error for timeout.

Why not try to reduce the size of your dataset or breaking it up into smaller datasets?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I should have said: it normally takes around 12 minutes to refresh.

It never takes more than 30 minutes to refresh.

I opened a ticket with Microsoft support, about this.

Any update @kevhav ?

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Wait, this is promising...I tried turning off scheduled refreshes, then turning them back on...and now my 8:00 a.m. scheduled refresh appears to have worked!

Finally, I have a new refresh "In progress." It might be fine, now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors