Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bdurham15
Frequent Visitor

Dataset settings - User no longer exists

Hello,

I have been performing scheduled refreshes on several datasets on an enterprise gateway for several months now. In the last week or so, all of the datasets that I have configured have shown the error message below (see picture). This is causing the scheduled refreshed to fail, except for when it is triggered manually by someone else, or when I republish the desktop version to the service. I have several reports linked to this dataset, so I am trying to avoid deleting it completely and republishing. Can anyone give any guidance on why this may be happening? Note - I have tested having another user take over the dataset so that I can take it back over and this error is still occurring.

Thanks,

BradfordPBI Error - user no longer exists.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
michaelshparber
Advocate V
Advocate V

Same here:

"this dataset has been configured by a user that no longer exists"

TonyGaul
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same issue here.  In my case the user still exists and has never been deleted, so is definitely a Microsoft bug.  It is causing some publishing issues and I have to re-enter data source credentials into the Power BI service in order to see the report.  On deployment I am getting an error saying I need to configure an enterprise gateway, however the data source is a single Azure DB and no gateway is necessary.

I found that the service account that was used to publish the Power BI reports did not have an email account associated. When an email account was added to the service account, the error message disappeared. Do you have the same scenario? 

@jrussell1738Hi, yes this could be a work-around as the account I use does not have an associated email.  But it has never had an email associated with it, so something has changed in the service.  I don't have access to set up an email to test.  Thanks

jrussell1738

error.jpgI am running into the same issue. I published the Power BI report myself and set up a Scheduled Refresh. After the Scheduled Refresh completed successfully, it now appears the dataset is configured by a "user that no longer exists".  Previously, I had the option to "Take Over" to at least show the dataset being in my user name (and able to receive any failure notifications". Would love to know who this user is that no longer exists and why I don't have the option to take over.

I do have the option to "Take Over" different data sets in this workspace app, so it doesn't appear to be a permissions issue.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft, After following your instructions to use takeover-dataset.ps1 (which, BTW I had to update to use v3 of ADAL, and a PR is up), nothing changed in the interface despite a 200OK on the Invoke-RestMethod.  Besides the fact that this does not appear to change the owner, but merely binds the dataset to a gateway, considering it is using the BindToGateway API endpoint.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bdurham15

It seems the user who create the dataset and configure the schedule refresh for that dataset no longer exists,

To run the reports and schedule refresh succefully, you need to take over the settings.

You could use the PowerShell script below to take over the dataset in the Power BI Service.
This will allow you to keep everything as is, but change the Owner. 

https://github.com/Azure-Samples/powerbi-powershell/blob/master/takeover-dataset.ps1

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi  @v-juanli-msft 

I am the owner of the dataset, and the one who originally published it and configured the scheduled refresh. As you can see, it will only allow me to take over the setting if someone else takes it over first (there is no option to take it over after I have already taken it over). Once I take it back over, I get this error message. It is telling me that I no longer exist, quite the conundrum.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,

Bradford

I'm seeing the exact same error message here when I do the following:

- open Chrome and log into Power BI using my work email account (primary)

- successfully create & publish the report

- successfully setup scheduled refresh (works fine).

- now I switch over to Firefox (private window) and log into Power BI with our team service account

- i can see that its owned by my primary account (as expected) 

- take over the dataset using team service account [so that refresh failure notifications, etc. go to shared mailbox]

- it shows message that user no longer exists and asking if i want to take over the dataset BUT there is no actual takeover button.

- switch back to Chrome , refresh page and it displays same message above (user doesnt exist) BUT it does have the takeover button.

- take over dataset back to original work account.

Hope that made sense.

Cheers,
Sean

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors