Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

corbusier
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Dataset security and Power BI Live feature

As I understand it, the new feature to allow a new report to use an existing dataset (Power BI Live) is meant to allow one dataset and it's associated measures to be used in new reports. 

However, I'm running into a problem with this and don't know if I'm missing something obvious. 

The workspace that I've published the reports to is a View-only workspace, since I don't want members editing other reports. They should be, however, free to take a dataset and build a report based off of it. 

As of right now, users can not see the Datasets in the workspace when they use the Power BI Live feature, whereas I can, and I can also publish the new report to the workspace. When I send a pbix file from this new report to someone else, they can't open it since it says they don't have permission.

What I would like is that a member is able to build a new report, but can't change an existing report unless they've published it in the first place. Is this possible? Second question - can certain members be given Edit access to a View-only workspace, but not Admin?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@corbusier In order to use the Power BI Live connection, the end user must have edit rights on the dataset.

What I would like is that a member is able to build a new report, but can't change an existing report unless they've published it in the first place. Is this possible?

No - permissions are granted on the workspace level, not the dataset/report level.

Second question - can certain members be given Edit access to a View-only workspace, but not Admin? Same as above, Not currently. Edit is all or nothing on the workspace for all members.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@corbusier In order to use the Power BI Live connection, the end user must have edit rights on the dataset.

What I would like is that a member is able to build a new report, but can't change an existing report unless they've published it in the first place. Is this possible?

No - permissions are granted on the workspace level, not the dataset/report level.

Second question - can certain members be given Edit access to a View-only workspace, but not Admin? Same as above, Not currently. Edit is all or nothing on the workspace for all members.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the reply, @Seth_C_Bauer. The answer is not what I wanted to hear, but that's better addressed on the Ideas page.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors