Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

michaelshparber
Advocate V
Advocate V

Dataset refreshes immediately after publish

Some of my reports behave strange:

Immediately after I publish my Desktop .pbix file to the service - it also starts a refresh...

Even if it is scheduled for another time

Why is that so and how can I disable this?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
cjpcman01
Frequent Visitor

I was also having this problem recently, started once i started using dataflows as one of the sources. To stop I disabled auto refresh first then, published, then once done reenabled the autorefresh setting and that seemed to work.

acecinati
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue. Power BI service update automatically the dataset after publishing.

My report has a standard import mode connection to an Oracle source and to a PBI Dataflow.

It's annoying cause there's no way to stop it! ...except for shout down the gateway.

Any solution?

Thanks in advance

a_garnett
Frequent Visitor

I have also observed this behavior in some cases. In short:

• In 4+ years of using Power BI with gateway servers, the normal and expected behavior I have observed is that when you publish a report containing an imported dataset, the new dataset overwrites what had been published previously, and is not refreshed until the user either manually initiates an on-demand refresh, or the next scheduled refresh takes place.
  • In cases where Incremental Refresh is enabled, it is normal for an on-demand refresh to be triggered when a new version of a report is published.
  • @michaelshparber did not mention whether the report in question was set up for incremental refresh, but I have observed that occasionally, publishing a report without incremental refresh will also trigger a full refresh to take place upon publishing. This can create unnecessary delays in making updated content available to users. I have not observed any pattern to when and why this happens; it seems to only affect certain reports regardless of what kind of data source they have.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? This forum post is the only reference I have found online. I will submit a support ticket if it continues and I do not learn anything else from other commenters to this thread.

@a_garnett  no incremental refresh in my report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this issue too. It's extremely inconvenient as it keeps happening on a dataset that takes an hour to refresh. It's also very debilitating for access because you cant modify RLS security while the dataset is refreshing which means I can't give access until this refresh is done.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Afraid this is a by design feature of Power BI. Basically Power BI services takes the re-publish or publish of report as a changes of layout and data. This is why it will always automatically refresh which should be understandable because usually data changes are also to be reflected by many developers.

However, you can definitely submit an idea here for optional data refresh.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you !!!

@Anand24 

It doesn't do it every time I republish.

So it must be something else

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michaelshparber ,

Where is your data source from, local or online?

Test1:

After publishing, the dataset and the report don't refresh automatically when the data source is a local data source.

Test2:

After publishing, the dataset and the report don't refresh automatically when the data source is a cloud data source.

Test results: data is not refreshed automatically during publishing.

"Some of my reports behave strange":

Is there any particularity or commonality in your reports? such as data source, etc.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have to say that when I tested this above it did indeed automatically refresh after I uploaded the dataset to the Power BI Service.

As you can see below I uploaded the file and immediately it refreshed the dataset.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I think that they enabled this by design to make sure that once the data is uploaded that it has got the latest data.

As far as I am aware there are currently no settings to change this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors