cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dataset refresh started spontaneously failing in Service but still works in Desktop

Hi,

Just seeking some troubleshooting advice and whether this is something that we definitely need to refer to MS support.

We have a report published to the Service in a workspace on Premium capacity.
It has a daily refresh schedule.
The report uses some SharePoint file and folder datasources connecting to excel files in our SharePoint Online tenant without a gateway i.e. "cloud" data sources. The same data sources are in use whether in the Service or in Desktop.

The scheduled refresh started failing (on May 1).
The report had not been re-published.
The underlying data sources had not been changed (as far as we could tell)

Our main barriers to getting any traction on this problem are:

• The refresh works fine in Desktop
  • Refresh errors in the Service keep changing each time, with occasional repetition but no particular pattern.

For example the most recent failures have had the following messages (note some file paths removed for security reasons) :

• <pii>SharePoint: Request failed: https://<<path to file 1 - removed>>_xlsx/_api/contextinfo</pii>. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: tblDSO
  • The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: tblRevenue.
  • <pii>SharePoint: Request failed: https://<<path to file 2 - removed>>_xlsx/_api/contextinfo</pii>. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: tblDSO
  • <pii>SharePoint: Request failed: https://<<path to file 2 - removed>>_xlsx/_api/contextinfo</pii>. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: tblRevenue.
  • The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: qryTotalHoursPerMonth
  • The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: qryTotalNRPerMonth.
  • The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: tblCost.
  • The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: tblRevenue.

We have tried the following as part of troubleshooting with no resolution:

• Refreshing the original (source) pbix in Desktop works without error.
  • Downloading the current pbix from the Service and refreshing in Desktop works without error.
  • Re-published to the Service to but refresh still failed in Service.
  • Altered the datasources in the Service to use the same (personal) credentials that work when refreshing in Desktop.
  • Reviewed monitoring e.g. looking to see if any limits are being hit (hence varying error message ??)
  • Reviewed audit logs.

Does anyone thoughts on potential root causes or further troubleshooting steps we have not tried ? Something we have
Or should we just refer this to MS support ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Dataset refresh started spontaneously failing in Service but still works in Desktop

Hi @amthog@jcecil2,

I just checked the support page and there seems to be an issue with Premium workspaces that have SharePoint Online as a datasource.

Please check back on that page for a solution or workaround, and maybe you could still also file a support ticket. It might help solve the issue faster.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Dataset refresh started spontaneously failing in Service but still works in Desktop

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you. However, I think it is beneficial that you know my team has been experiencing the same errors in our premium space on a couple reports that rely heavily on sharepoint data sources. 

Hopefully Microsoft support is able to get a fix in place!

Best wishes,

Jacob

Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

Hi @amthog@jcecil2,

I just checked the support page and there seems to be an issue with Premium workspaces that have SharePoint Online as a datasource.

Please check back on that page for a solution or workaround, and maybe you could still also file a support ticket. It might help solve the issue faster.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am seeing exactly the same issue.

Replying to my own post just to thank all those who responded. 

The response from @nickyvv is correct. We opened an issue with Microsoft and they have confirmed this. 
I will mark that as the solution for now.

Thanks also to those who responded confirming they were seeing similar issues as that also helped.

Cheers 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

July 2020 Community Highlights

July 2020 Community Highlights

Learn about the exciting things that happened in July.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors