Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hoss
Frequent Visitor

Dataset refresh for viewers

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible for viewers of a report to refresh the dataset? Been looking around and can't quite find any solution. 

So far, and assuming that this is not possible, as a workaround I created an automated Flow for the admin of the report, so that when he receives an email with a "data refresh" request, it automatically refreshes the dataset. I tested this and it's working for the admin but not sure if the dataset refresh will be affecting the viewers as well? (i.e. if admin refreshes the dataset, will it be refreshed for all users?)

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hoss,

It’s not supported now in power bi, you can vote here.

Whenever you refresh data, Power BI must query the underlying data sources, possibly load the source data into a dataset, and then update any visualizations in your reports or dashboards that rely on the updated dataset. And then the viewer can get updated report after refresh.

If you want to learn more, please refer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

Best Regards,

Link

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

compared to other options, recreating the queries is a small effort.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you can switch the dataset's data sources to direct query then your end users will always get the most up to date version. No need to refresh manually.

hoss
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @lbendlin, but we have already done a lot of work on the dataset using import. Seems like there's no easy way to switch from import to direct query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors