Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

L33
Frequent Visitor

Dataset refresh fails when merging data from two separate Azure SQL Servers

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a Dataset failing to refresh and it would appear to be to do with the fact my model is blending data from two separate databases in two separate Azure servers. I've created a report in PBI Desktop that connects to our separate DEV and PROD Azure Servers with no issues - Desktop lets me blend the data without a complaint.

Like so:

Example of charting.PNG 

The PBI Service Dataset settings shows me the two distinct servers:Obfuscated Data source credentials.PNG

I set up a schedule for refresh, but it always fails:

RefreshErrorMessage.PNG

The Refresh history messages shows a seemingly random table each time as being the one to trip it up.

Refresh History eg1.PNG  Refresh History eg2.PNG 

If Power BI Desktop is letting me blend these sources in to the same report, what is it about the Service that is preventing it?

Is it a bug in the Service, or intentional for some reason? Is there a suggested workaround?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi L33,

Please check if you have configured the two data sources correctly in "manage gateway". In addtion, in Azure portal, have you enabled 'Allow access to Azure services' and set server firewall to provide access to client IPs?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi,

The "Gateway connection" section tells me I don't need a gateway - as I suspected. Both servers are in the Azure cloud. Additionally, when I have a PBI dataset from one or the other, it works fine. It's only bringing two separate servers' data together that seems to cause a problem. 

thanks

Have you had any luck with this, i am experiencing this issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors