Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BilboBaggins
Frequent Visitor

Dataset refresh fails to memory error

Some of our customer dataset refreshes started to fail last weekend. There haven't been any changes in the reports or datasets, so I'm quite confused about where to start fixing the problem. Also, the error message doesn't provide much-needed clues.

BilboBaggins_0-1636453667425.png

We are currently running Power BI Embedded Gen2 with A3 capacity, and this has been running smoothly. However, now after the weekend, I need to scale the capacity up to A4 to be able to refresh these datasets. So my conclusion at this time is, that there have been some changes in the Power BI backend, and the memory usage has gone up because of this.

Is there anybody else who has had the same kind of experiences lately? Any suggestions where to start tracking the problem and/or optimizing the dataset?

3 REPLIES 3
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Have you migrated to Premium Gen2 if not I would suggest you to do so as this will help you What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Yes, forgot to mention that. We have been using Gen2 for several months already.

I would suggest to do capacity load test if you need to upscale your capacity

Power BI embedded analytics capacity planning - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Also you can optimise your dataset follow Power BI guidance documentation - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors