Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataset "Refresh Now" Fails With No Error

Hi,

I have this intermittently with PowerBI.

Most of my dashboards are set up with a scheduled refresh, however occasionally I need to do an Ad Hoc dataset refresh.

I do this by clicking on the elipsis (...) next to the dataset on the left nav and clicking Refresh Now.

Usually when I do this I get a Dataset Refresh In Progress message when I reclick the elipsis, however in the past day I get nothing.

The refresh doesn't happen, but there is no error message to say why not...

I have also tried adding in another scheduled refresh to see if that works and it fails with the same situation - no error, no refresh. The refresh attempt does not even show up in the refresh history.

This occurs to all my datasets. I have asked others in the workgroup to try the same and they get the same result.

The relevant Gateway is showing as Online and Ready.

I can refresh the dataset through the desktop and then re-publish but that isn't really a long term solution.

Does anyone know why this occurs and how to fix it?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same situation here, except some Power BI reports seem to refresh ok and others don't. I have a report that connects to a SharePoint Excel file refreshes with no errors, but didn't actually refresh the data. My workaround is to open Power BI desktop, refresh the tables, then publish. Several people in company who work with Power BI a lot are not able to figure out why. This is not good if we have to manually refresh the data. Kind of defeats the reason for using it...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have raised a support ticket with Microsoft about this issue.

They have informed me that they have engineers investigating the issue.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. Refreshing and Publishing not working. Trying all day and nothing works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same for us. We've been trying the whole morning. We can see the popup "Preparing for refresh" is active for a while, then it dissapears and nothing happens. Refresh history doesn't show any error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue, I can't replace / overwrite any excisting reports. When deleting the old report and reuploading it again, it works like a charm. But that's a big issue with setting up rights again, and quicklinks won't work anymore for my endusers 

EDIT: 
Publishing doesn't work either at this moment: 
An Error occured while attempting to Publish: "abc.pbix": The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. 

Rubenvw
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same here in The Netherlands. Really painful issue.. Is anyone able to give us more information how to resolve this issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like the issues in Northen Europe again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here in the UK. No refreshing, no errors, not able to publish the reports. 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous @Anonymous @Anonymous 

Please test again to see if you are able to refresh the dataset. 

Refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Refresh-from-Service-Not-working-12-Mar-2019/idi-p/643139

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also - I have tried to refresh the report on the Desktop and publish to the server. The manual refresh succeeds, but publishing to the server is not working. Taking forever.

I am getting the exact same problem - there is no error message at all - you get the pop up "Preparing to Refresh" and then nothing happens, the pop up goes away, and then..... nothing. No error message.

Power BI is starting to lose credibility in my organisation because of this instability. We could live with the occasional failure to refresh, but this is now an ongoing issue, and none of the replies on the forums are really addressing the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incidentally - the dataset is showing the Next Scheduled Refresh is 10am today.

It is currently 11am. It's like the refresh clock stopped.

This is now occuring every couple of days - it's not good enough.

I am also experiencing this issue today with refreshing dataflows. Manual refreshes do nothing and the Next Scheduled Refresh is in the past i.e. it has not occurred when it should have done. There are no errors showing and no refresh attempt is logged in the Refresh History.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - none of the above solutions have worked.

It's worth noting that as of now (10.50am CET) the 10.00 refresh is scheduled as the 'Next Refresh'.

It's almost as if the whole refresh system has crashed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I notice the same thing, but can go to the Datasets page and click the "Refresh Now" circular arrow button in the "Actions" Column and it works.

Have you tried that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been experiencing the same issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors