Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shona
Frequent Visitor

Dataset not updating when re-publishing from Power BI desktop

Hello,

Not sure if I am doing something wrong as fairly new to Power BI.  I've created some reports in Power BI desktop which were published to a client's account, I've since updated my reports (and dataset) in Power BI desktop and re-published but the changes are not taking effect in Power BI online.  The reports are updating as expected but the dataset is not, for example if I add a new table this does not appear in the online service. Is this because the client is viewing the reports or am I doing something incorrrectly?

Thanks,

Shona.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Sometimes the metadata doesn't refresh (new tables, reports, etc).  If you go into PowerBI.com and pull the file in and overwrite the other one that usually fixes it.  Alternatively, use OneDrive for Business to load the file and you won't have this problem anymore.

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sdkearns
Frequent Visitor

I simply refreshed the webpage and then was able to see the new dataset data.

shona
Frequent Visitor

Hello wonga and austinsense,

I am not sure what the problem was but it appears to have updated now - possibly just a delay in updating.

Thanks for your help though.

Shona

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

What happens if you add a visualization using data from this new table you made?

If it's not working like you say it is, the visual should not render and error out. If the visual does render, then that means the new data is there.

austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Sometimes the metadata doesn't refresh (new tables, reports, etc).  If you go into PowerBI.com and pull the file in and overwrite the other one that usually fixes it.  Alternatively, use OneDrive for Business to load the file and you won't have this problem anymore.

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors