08-09-2018 08:36 AM
My bad, I did a few actions actually though. I thought it was the cache clearing works.
I just tested it again, and I did go to Edit Query, Edit Source Permission, clearing it and sign in again ( The one of Sharepoint!)
LMK if it works for you.
08-09-2018 09:02 AM
Even clearing the credentials does not seem to be a permanent solution. It works a few times for me, but not consistently.
I was wondering: Do you have row level security enabled on the list you receive errors on - because I do. I have not seen errors on the others...
08-09-2018 09:37 AM - edited 08-09-2018 09:37 AM
It looks like this is possibly a known issue at the moment if you take a look at the status of PBI Service: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/
The status is: Some users may experience their Sharepoint list queries fail to refresh. Next update @ 8/9/2018 12:00 PDT