Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HO
Frequent Visitor

Dataset connects to a source with DirectQuery in Power BI service, but data are imported in desktop

Hello,

I have made a report in power BI desktop, and published it to power BI service. When retrieving data to my report I chose to import for the Data Connectivity mode for all tables. I have now published the report to power BI service, but there it says: "dataset connects to a source with DirectQuery". 

This causes issues when refreshing the data (this should happen automatically when using DirectQuery, but in this case it doen't). This means that my dataset doesn't get updated which is quite frustrating. 

All help is appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes it is very strange! It's only tables from a SQL database. 

I can not share the file, unfortunately, since it contains sensitive information regarding my business. 

I manage to solve the problem in a most non-elegant way: 

1. Make a copy of the pbix file

2. Remove all queries in the copy

3. Copy and paste the content in Advanced Editior from original to copy. 

When I published the copy to power bi serivce, everything was as expected. I have no idea what caused the error, but the important thing for me is that it works properly 🙂 

Thank you for all suggestions!

Best,

HO

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @HO 

Do you mean that this report is created by DirectQuery and publish to power bi service at the beginning?

Now you have downloaded it and change DirectQuery to import then republish it again?

If so, delete the initial dataset and try again.

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Not exactly. I have created the report bi importing all data and then published it to power bi service. Now the data suddenly appears to be connected to the data with directquery. 

When I download the report and opens it, there is no mention of directquery..

hi, @HO 

When I download the report and opens it, there is no mention of directquery..

If it is a mixed model of when get data?

If you try to delete the original report and dataset in the power bi service and then republish it again.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It is not a mixed model. ALL data are imported. 

I've tried to delete report and dataset, but it didn't help. 

Hans

hi, @HO 

This is very strange, what is your datasource? and could you share your sample pbix file(import) for us to have a test?

Best Regards,

Lin

Yes it is very strange! It's only tables from a SQL database. 

I can not share the file, unfortunately, since it contains sensitive information regarding my business. 

I manage to solve the problem in a most non-elegant way: 

1. Make a copy of the pbix file

2. Remove all queries in the copy

3. Copy and paste the content in Advanced Editior from original to copy. 

When I published the copy to power bi serivce, everything was as expected. I have no idea what caused the error, but the important thing for me is that it works properly 🙂 

Thank you for all suggestions!

Best,

HO

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors