Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pescem2
Frequent Visitor

Dataset Refreshes in Desktop But Times Out in Service

My dataset takes less than two hours to refresh in Desktop, but it times out in Service because it is taking over two hours. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @pescem2 

I have several ideas! However, to make sure I answer your need concisely and most correctly can you answer the following:

1. What kind of data source(s) are you working with?

2. What kind of machine are you working with?

3. How many data sources of each type are you working with?

Thanks! I'll reply to your reply as soon as I can.

pescem2
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to pull a view from an Oracle SQL database. There is no custom SQL statement behind this import.

Hey @pescem2  check out this thread on changing the timeout of the oracle sql query: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Oracle-ORA-01013-how-to-change-the-timeout-setting-for-orac...

Let me know if it helps.

pescem2
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately I don't have control of the timeout settings on the Service. I already have the timeout setting behind the query set to 10 hours.

In that case I would either google ways to make your SQL queries more efficient or manually refresh in desktop and republish to service.

Can you share your query?

pescem2
Frequent Visitor

I did happen to add another clause into my WHERE statement that limited the data. The service has been able to update the dataset since this clause was added.

Back to my original question though...why would a dataset take more time to update in Service than Desktop?

@pescem2  That is a good question. Simply put though, it is because the service has to go through the same steps as the desktop version of the report except that Power BI Online Service has to do it all through the Data Gateway and it relies on the speed of the internet connection. This adds an extra small step, but it certainly slows it down. I have noticed this in my reports as well which Is why I try to keep them fairly simple as far as teh dataset is concerned. I'm not querying anything quite as large as you are thoug and luckily mine are all Microsoft SQL Databases instead of Oracle.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors